Windown scratches on convertibles

Jaguar F-Type Order Forum
Tel

Post by Tel »

I'm having mine fitted next week. My windows aren't scratched yet, as I keep the current seals dead clean with a brush, I'm getting it done as a preventative measure thanks to JLR CRC.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩

gm13

Post by gm13 »

Thanks. At last, seals and windows have been ordered and I'm waiting to hear from the dealer.

GM13.
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

It would appear as though this issue can affect both convertibles and coupes as some coupe owners have had their seals changed. Does this mean that all the seals are faulty or potentially so? If so, why haven't JLR made proactive contact with owners to remedy the potential issue as this would surely be better than waiting for glass to be scratched leading to a much more costly repair?

Tel has posted that his seals are being replaced after assistance from JLR CRC as a preventative measure. That makes perfect sense.

In the absence of a remedial program, perhaps JLR CRC could reassure owners who have yet to experience the issue, that they will be looked after should the issue occur outside of the standard warranty period?

Salsa Red V6S Coupe, Performance Heated Seats, Memory Pack, 20" DC Gyrodynes, Heated Windscreen, Blind Spot Detection & CVS, Meridian Audio, Powered Tailgate, Illuminated Tread Plates and Big Smile!
Tel

Post by Tel »

It would appear as though this issue can affect both convertibles and coupes as some coupe owners have had their seals changed. Does this mean that all the seals are faulty or potentially so? If so, why haven't JLR made proactive contact with owners to remedy the potential issue as this would surely be better than waiting for glass to be scratched leading to a much more costly repair?

Tel has posted that his seals are being replaced after assistance from JLR CRC as a preventative measure. That makes perfect sense.

In the absence of a remedial program, perhaps JLR CRC could reassure owners who have yet to experience the issue, that they will be looked after should the issue occur outside of the standard warranty period?

It appears to be a design issue: http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/scratched-side-windows-166517/ and affects all from build 00001.

I hear what you say, and I'm off the same ilk, hence why I raised this with CRC.
I could not understand why we had to wait for the windows to become damaged, then raise the issue to subsequently have both the windows AND seals replaced.

I was told by CRC that Jaguar do not replace warranty items to prevent issues, only when the customer has raised an issue, i.e once the damage has been done, can it be rectified!
I explained that this makes no sense at all, as the cost in labour and windows, far outweighs the cost of the window seals alone, which are only about £70 on their own.
CRC agreed to replace mine as a 'Good will gesture'.

It seems to me that this is the way, unfortunately that this industry, not only JLR, operates...how many owners were contacted to ask them to bring their cars in for remedial works on the Meridian system for example? Not many, I'm sure!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
captainham

Post by captainham »

Yeah I agree Tel, it's crazy. They're just trying to save money I presume (if you're unlucky enough to only suffer the issue outside the warranty period, then it's now your cost to fix it).

Been waiting a month for the new seals to become available so far...
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

Many thanks Tel for posting the link to the JaguarForums site which also includes the Topix article.

It certainly makes no sense at all to have to replace both the glass and the seals unless JLR are hoping that they can get away without having to do anything at all in many instances as warranties run out. Frankly, it's bad enough having to battle with the dealers to get issues resolved but I do understand why they do it as some of them just can't be bothered. However, JLR are supposed to be a premium brand and they need to start acting like one if they expect to gain repeat business.

I will contact JLR CRC and see if they can help with a similar goodwill gesture. The warranty clock is ticking and I'll bet they won't cover stuff like this on the Jaguar Approved Extended Warranty!

Scoobydoo
Salsa Red V6S Coupe, Performance Heated Seats, Memory Pack, 20" DC Gyrodynes, Heated Windscreen, Blind Spot Detection & CVS, Meridian Audio, Powered Tailgate, Illuminated Tread Plates and Big Smile!
MartyV

Post by MartyV »

Both windows and seals are being replaced on my Coupe but I've now been told by my local dealer in Edinburgh that these are not available as yet and I will need to wait until they are. Interestingly, they tell me that after I'd driven the 20 plus miles to the dealership for the second time - first time the replacement windows hadn't arrived and second tie they then said they an't fit them without new seals too! I've been assured I will receive compensation (which I believe is a meal voucher)LOL I will be holding out for nothing less than free servicing.
gm13

Post by gm13 »

Good on you. JLR should have dealt with this problem in a much more professional way.
gm13.
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

Indeed they should and Marty's post might explain why I've had no reply to my PM to the Jaguar CRC requesting a goodwill repair of the seals before the glass gets scratched and needs replacing too. Marty's dealer experience is hardly what you expect of a Premium brand - surely they should have had the courtesy to let the customer know that they didn't have the parts so would not be able to undertake the fix for which the vehicle was booked in for.

Time for Jaguar to step up to the plate, own up to the issue and get some stock ordered before commencing a proper and fair replacement programme.

Scoobydoo
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

I have now received a reply from Jaguar CRC to my PM:-

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your message.

I can confirm that should there be a concern present with your vehicle within the manufacturers warranty period, as a result of a manufacturing defect, any necessary parts will be repaired or replaced.

However should there be no concern or defect apparent currently with your vehicle, Jaguar will be unable to replace any parts during warranty, as there is no guarantee that your vehicle is to be affected by any said concern.

Should any concerns arise outside of the warranty period, Jaguar will be more than happy to review this on a case by case basis to determine if goodwill is necessary.

I appreciate that this may not be the response you had hoped for, however I hope you can understand Jaguar's position in this matter.

Many thanks,

So, it seems that the glass must be scratched before the seals are replaced which will, of course, increase the cost of the repair, assuming the glass and seals are available!

Scoobydoo

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post