Front bumper clearance

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
Thundercat

Post by Thundercat »

Hi All,

I have had my MY2016 V6s Convertible for a couple of months now and have already managed to dislodge my front bumper getting on/off my not very steep driveway. It appears the lower splitter catches and is causing me some stress.

I am worried about entering Car Parks, Ferry and other unexpected steep inclines. Is this just me? Surely Not. Any advise and experience to avoid further damage would be appreciated.

Thundercat2016-10-02 22:13:15

philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

In another post I mentioned the problem in getting on and off a Scottish ferry with the lower plastic splitter grounding. No damage was done as it is flexible but it does give an audible scrape. They are obviously aware of this problem with other cars and they produced a pair of wooden ramps to elevate the front. It also catches on kerbs if parked front end on. The part is easy and inexpensive to replace if you diy. I believe they are available off the shelf so the problem is common!

OB123

Post by OB123 »

Probably obvious / old advice but if you approach the incline / decline at an angle rather than straight on its loads better
V8 AWD Coupe - Indus Silver
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

Yes, tried that on the ferry but made no difference.
ronniet

Post by ronniet »

i tried a scottish ferry as well, uig to tarbert, it would have helped if the crew could have been bothered to monitor the on ramp. As it was we needed the little blocks of wood as well. On the glenelg to skye ferry the skipper of the ferry moved one of the other cars to balance the ramp so we could get off, he was absolutely brilliant.

On the other jag forum guys have been talking of taking it off, it makes a horrendous noise but for me thats great as it warns early enough to hopefully prevent real damage..Ive forgotten how low it is at the front and how high kerbs are so always try to reverse now, think we will need to live with it....If jag fitted air suspension maybe we could levitate the front a few inches
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

Mine was the Tarbert to Portavaddie ferry. Took a few goes and messing about until they appeared with the wooden ramps!
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I always go on at an angle and it generally works.

I've been on quite a few ferries and usually i ask to be put on the same floor as the lorries - they dont have big ramps.....
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

This was one of the smaller ferrys which means driving down a steep ramp and then up the ferry ramp which gives the worst possible angle of approach. Next visit to Scotland will be in the 4x4 but I won't have so much fun driving round the twisties!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post