The Gran Tour

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Just watched the first episode of The Grand Tour. The old Top Gear is back, same daft blokey humour and brilliant cinematography (if that's the correct word). Clap It'll be interesting to see how the show develops, given there's aspects of the old programme that cannot be used, which should be a welcome change as the last Top Gear episodes had become a little bit stale.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR

Tel

Post by Tel »

Sounds great, I miss it strangely enough, although I thought Clarkson was a prat. Should be up on YouTube soon I hope!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
MOz

Post by MOz »

I thought it was OK but certain bits were the same as the bits that made the old Top Gear a little stale and sh*t from time to time. There's no denying the three of them work very well. The new laptime circuit is crap (I suspect the only location happy for them to add to the existing infrastructure) and the avoidance of interviewing guests was just a waste of 5 mins airtime (and I suspect several thousands in appearance fees). I managed to get the £59 deal for Amazon Prime in the GT promotion and have huge Xmas shopping plans online so happy to spend to watch it.

Expect Amazon to throw the legal book at anyone trying to post up pirate copies. It will happen but they won't be as widespread as you think.
V6S ragtop, Salsa Red, 20" Cyclones, extended black leather performance interior with red stitching and the finest exhaust note in motoring history.
steveh

Post by steveh »

Wouldn't watch them if you paid me!
V6S coupe, Italian Racing Red with Ivory interior.
East winger

Post by East winger »

Yes, there are aspects of the old show and a few ripe words that should be edited out for family viewing, but the cars they drove were top notch and the vibe between the three was still there. I agree that MOz that there were some bits that were poor and some of their stunts do make me cringe from time to time, but there is no denying that they have a watchable show that should bring in the crowds. Overall, I think Amazon are on to a winner.
Italian Racing Red Coupe S AWD + big smile
steveh

Post by steveh »

I would deny the show is watchable, I find them incredibly irritating but I know I am in the minority.
V6S coupe, Italian Racing Red with Ivory interior.
Big Bri

Post by Big Bri »

I think there's a silent minority (or possibly a majority) out there who were glad to see the back of TG.

Personally I got fed up with the programme and thought it was going downhill. It was a shame because it could have been so good. For me it was about the cars and not the presenters. I admit I watched all the TG's because you just knew there would be a few gold nuggets buried in between all the dross.
For example the episode on Senna was a shining example of how good the series could have been.

I can't comment on the new format, but I imagine with a bigger budget it's more excess of both good and bad.....
MOz

Post by MOz »

Spot in Bri. Exactly that.

Worth watching for the cars and some of the content. I'm still happy to persevere week to week.

The Senna film was sublime. The episode with the UK products (F Types on the Mall) was also brilliant. It's for the 10% that makes the other 90% worth putting up with.
V6S ragtop, Salsa Red, 20" Cyclones, extended black leather performance interior with red stitching and the finest exhaust note in motoring history.
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

I would add that I too find them incredibly irritating; and regardless of whatever cars are in the programme I just can't bear their fake matey banter. And I have an irrational hatred of Richard Hammond's hair

Rhodium Silver V8R AWD

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post