Road salt

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Had notification today that the local roads, here in Bedfordshire, have been gritted due to sub-zero forecast.

So, unless it turns milder with some heavy rain to wash away the salt, that's it and the car will be SORNed until about March :( + lost whatever a month's RFL is.

Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

Driving back up to work last night in my (crappy old) Defender rather than the F-Type left me very glad of my car choice! Oncoming the other way was a gritter absolutely pelting out grit. It coated my Defender, making all sorts of horrible F-Type paint scratching noises. Good choice of car for the drive it seems! Do you keep yours completely tucked away in the winter Aitch? Mine will be tucked up for most of it, but on the odd day will come out to play!
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Chrissyg wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:29 pm Driving back up to work last night in my (crappy old) Defender rather than the F-Type left me very glad of my car choice! Oncoming the other way was a gritter absolutely pelting out grit. It coated my Defender, making all sorts of horrible F-Type paint scratching noises. Good choice of car for the drive it seems! Do you keep yours completely tucked away in the winter Aitch? Mine will be tucked up for most of it, but on the odd day will come out to play!
Don't you just hate getting sand blasted by a gritter!!

I have an Audi A6 3..0 TDi Quattro as a daily driver and it serves the purpose admirably. F Type is for fine weather, high days and holidays. It will be tucked away in the garage until spring under a nice soft cover, if I can find a suitable one.

I'm so paranoid (or is it anal) about this car, I recently had roller doors fitted to both front and rear of the garage as the previous doors had large gaps below. Now, I've made certain that there are no gaps so it's impervious to leaves and, in particular, any mice that wish to take up residence for the winter. Added bonus is it stays nice and cosy in there with no draughts or damp. Wish I'd done this years ago.
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

I will be Sorning at the end of this month and bedding the car down for the winter.
So far I have managed to miss the recent gritting operations, but it's usually around now when the roads start to become a bit too corrosive for my liking.
Laying up the F-Type for the winter months is of course a sad time. One way that I get an extra 'hit' of enjoyment with the car is to clean and polish it prior to the cover going on.
A proper clean.
Wheels off. Sometimes wheel arch covers off too, followed by a cleaning and protective layer of corrosion treatment to the suspension components + all the sensors and electrical connectors (of which there are many, lurking underneath the car). Engine bay gets a wipe over too...
The leather gets a treatment of Renapur (cleaner/protector). Glass gets a deep clean etc...

With a bit of music playing in the garage on a rainy and uninviting autumn day....Bit of elbow grease...a few mugs of coffee/tea/or-something-slightly-stronger...Standing back to admire the effort taken...looking showroom new.
That one particular time when the car is looking at it's best after an enjoyable driving summer. Packed away for a few months and ready to be revived in early spring. I some ways it feels good. Like getting a new car every spring.
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
Alasdair 63

Post by Alasdair 63 »

Jagster

What products do you use to protect the components etc.
White v6s coupe vap tune pulley upgrade 200 cell cats vap exhaust black pack.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Mine is also laid up over the winter in the same way.
Funny I also invested in a set of roller doors for the same reason, so much muck coming in under the old up and over doors.
Also mine goes in a Carcoon.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Alasdair 63 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:14 pm Jagster

What products do you use to protect the components etc.
I use this stuff http://www.acf-50.co.uk/automotive.htm

There are two different products:

ACF50 which is ultra thin and is fairly light duty (Designed to get into every nook and cranny but needs fairly regular application)

then there's the more heavy duty stuff called 'Corrosion Block' which is the same basic product but has a slightly higher viscosity and is designed to last better in tougher conditions.

I mainly use Corrosion Block (underside chassis & suspension etc..) and ACF50 on the engine and engine bay, Door cavities/bonnet/hinges/brackets etc...

ACF50 was formulated for use in the aviation industry. It's good stuff :D
M@r]{

Post by M@r]{ »

I’m going to be driving mine! Life is too short to miss those opportunities, who knows what is around the corner :)
=========================
MY2019 Mclaren 720s Performance
MY2006 Lotus Exige "GT3"
MY2008 Westfield Megablade Track Car
MY2012 VW Camper (the family getaway / track car tow vehicle)
MY2013 Range Rover Evoque (the missus car)
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Well mine was designed for warm weather use only. It doesn't have a heated steering wheel :D
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

M@r]{ wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:13 pm I’m going to be driving mine! Life is too short to miss those opportunities, who knows what is around the corner :)
Good for you. Enjoy. :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post