New AM Vantage

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
Backfire

Post by Backfire »

I went to a preview of the new Vantage V8 yesterday. Super car to drive I'm sure, but I was hoping it looked better in the flesh than the pictures. Sorry to report, in my opinion on first viewing, it doesn't. I liked the full width rear lights and the subtle double bubble roof, but the lower rear styling is discordant and the front is flat, headlights boring and the spoiler/grill gapy (I think I may have invented a word). I spent more time looking at the DB11 V8s which are not much more expensive and still look like Aston Martins.
I reckon they are missing Ian Callum.
2017MY F Type Coupe, Caldera Red, 19 Centrifuges, Pan Roof, Leather memory heated seats, Parking pack. Also 1957 XK150 FHC.

OB123

Post by OB123 »

Hi Backfire - thats interesting - I have been having those ''what car do i buy if i win the lottery'' thoughts and was slightly lusting after the Vantage (but have only seen photos and some you tube walk around videos) however on balance I do still think the F type is the best looking car available and you may have confirmed my gut feeling

Would still like to test drive the new Vantage though (just to be sure of course .....)
V8 AWD Coupe - Indus Silver
jimbobc

Post by jimbobc »

Interesting discussion I was thinking at the weekend we need a new Vantage thread! I got to see that car at Duxford last week. They brought 25 cars through the AM ages highlights included a 1966 DB6 Vantage in Silver birch. They also bought the red arrows Vanquish S car which raised £1.5m for the RAF benevolent fund. And they parked a customer AM Vulcan under a Vulcan bomber! That was epic and I got the chance to sit in it. The CFO of AM also came along and brought the DB11 V8 Volante - I am personally not a fan I think the DB11 looks too long in the doors anyway.

So to be honest I didn't really look round the new Vantage until the last 15 minutes as there was such an amazing collection of AM's I was like a kid again. To me the new Vantage looked great (but probably not as good as the F-Type) and I love the red that is touring the country (very similar to IRR). I sat it in and it looks good albeit didn't feel £155k quality (the price of that specific car!). Definatley like it but driving home in my F-Type which cost a 1/3 of that I can't see I could justify the step up in price and to hit an affordable price point to me I guess the car would have to 5-7 years old. When you can get a nearly new SVR for £90k the F-Type does seem a bargain. Having said all this I have a test drive booked in May - well it would be rude to not to.
2014 F-Type V6S Coupe Italian Racing Red with carbon blades
Backfire

Post by Backfire »

I'm sure it's a great car and certainly wouldn't kick one out of bed. I also hope the looks grow on me, just not quite convinced at the moment. Interestingly I went with a friend who, last week, took delivery of a new Vantage AMR V8 halo pack and it's looking like he could trouser up to £30K to flip. However, I'm pleased to report, as the AMR is at the detailers for ceramic coating, we went in the F Type (not the only red F Type Coupe in the car park). As has been said, the new Vantage is now a seriously expensive car.
2017MY F Type Coupe, Caldera Red, 19 Centrifuges, Pan Roof, Leather memory heated seats, Parking pack. Also 1957 XK150 FHC.
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Like many new cars the desire to stand often results in over styling ... whilst I’m sure the bodywork is fully functional (check out the AMV12 design vid on YouTube to see the level of detail AM go to), it is likely to also suffer from colour sensitivity ... get it wrong and it will be a quick way to dump a load of ££ ...

I’m a long term Aston fan but as jimbobc says, when you look at the F-type it is so well balanced a design, and great value ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
OB123

Post by OB123 »

Hi Senninha - I agree - Ive always lusted after an Aston and the new Vantage (with Merc derived tech) does look an attractive proposition - but it does also look a little over styled (although to qualify that statement i haven't seen one in the flesh yet) and at £120k starting price it seems on paper at least poor value compared to an F type. I reckon when the Ftype came along it might have stolen some potential Aston customers
V8 AWD Coupe - Indus Silver
Russ2299

Post by Russ2299 »

I previously owned an n430 vantage which I sold ready to purchase a new one placed a deposit be fore I saw it .I has a sneak preview in October up at gaydon ,was so disappointed I had my deposit refunded .the rear end looks more like a vtr civic than an aston .and the price crept up to 160k with options . Came strath home and bought a new f type 400 sport one of the beSt moves I have made in years
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello

Sorry I dont like it at all .... the front grill is headous, dare I say kit car design ..... quick run for cover !! :lol: