Relay theft

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
captainham

Post by captainham »

No not my car, fortunately, but my friend has just had his Range Rover stolen overnight via relay theft.

If you have keyless entry on your car, please please please don't keep your keys anywhere near the front of the house where scumbags can 'access' the wireless signal.

Personally I use a faraday wallet (RFID blocker) for keeping keys in, but tin foil-lined tins etc should work just as well. Don't let the opportunistic b*ggers have an easy theft.

(Apologies, I'm still a bit sensitive after my Fiesta ST was stolen from a hotel car park in February - admittedly not via relay theft but via a 'weakness' that exists in the Fiesta, but still...I am still wishing a plague of locusts consume their testes from the inside out.)

Just look at this if you don't believe how ridiculously easy and effortless it is for them to get cars in this way:
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT

daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I posted this a while ago. If your worried - disable keyless entry, i have and i really dont miss it.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2226&p=20524#p20524
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
captainham

Post by captainham »

daytona650 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:10 am I posted this a while ago. If your worried - disable keyless entry, i have and i really dont miss it.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2226&p=20524#p20524
Good post. I'm not worried as I use a Faraday wallet and like the convenience of keyless, but would hate for the b*ggers to score an easy car.

I've also reverted to "90s" mentality and now have steering locks on Jag and my new car, plus have moved OBD ports further inside the dash where they're not so accessible (as I say, the Fiesta had a specific weakness but I've gone into full paranoia mode now!!).
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Not promoting a product but these work a treat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B078SR ... ctor&psc=1

With the key in the wallet the car wont open. If your in the car and put the key in the wallet then it says key not detected and wont start. The two pack is useful as I have one with the spare key in and one for the main key.

£10 for a two pack. Cheaper ones do exist but for £10 it must be the cheapest method of protecting a car from a relay theft.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post