Why don't car manufacturers apply ceramic coatings?

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
OB123

Post by OB123 »

Ive suggested to two dealers recently that they should partner with a reputable detailing company so that you could get the car detailed, ceramic coated or PPF'd either at the dealers or at the detailers prior to collection (but with the arrangements made by the dealer so no worries about insurance etc)
Unfortunately neither dealer seemed interested.
V8 AWD Coupe - Indus Silver

chicb

Post by chicb »

0B123, The reason they are not interested is because they make so much profit on selling Supaguard or equivalent when selling you a new car. Their own detailers just slap it on in the time it takes to polish a car. A reputable detailer will have insurance. All my cars have Gtechniq ceramic coating. The detailer picks up the car before the showroom detailers see, it while it still has all delivery protection on it.
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
scm

Post by scm »

Parfect wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:32 am There are those that want to spend more time driving than detailing their car and others that think nothing of spending the day washing and waxing there pride and joy.
I'm in the "wanting to drive it" camp - if I wanted to spend my time polishing, I'd buy some furniture. :)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I cannot see JLR ever applying it, even as an option.
It will slow down the line by hours or add in some sort of side route that has to keep the car ultra clean for hours, increase warranty claims that it’s come off or not effective, cause problems if a panel has to be resprayed, take away dealers aftermarket sales, etc. etc.
It a non starter to have it factory applied and even if done I doubt 10% uptake on Ftype and 1% across all cars as most people just don’t care or believe it works
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Its all down to time and money ... and new registrations ... there is more than one manufacturer who will reduce the amount of lacquer applied if sales a re slow to balance the bottom line ...

I understand some of the top end marques like Maclaren, Ferrari offer PPF from the factory as an option but then they are not producing a hatchback every few minutes ...

I like clean and shiny paint but I prefer driving so some strategic PPF and a good wax a couple of times a year will do ... nice evening for drive ... 8-)
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post