More EU interference on the way

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

Probably very bad news for Jaguar and others in Europe.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonrei ... 88c91ad145

I suspect the German car makers will work hard to water this one down but their power is a bit less than it used to be.

Given the UK’s rotten signs and unreliable speed limit mapping this is hardly going to be very practical here. Removing the ability to drive sensibly will result in all sorts of issues. I have driven cars with GPS speed tracking and speed limiters (with job dismissal the penalty for speeding) and the frustration in variable traffic was considerable.

Big Brother is getting closer. Once the Goverment knows where you are, it will control where you can go, and will tax you for the privilege. What will be the point of performance cars? Only upside I can see will be the value of cars not fitted with this kit will rocket until they are banned altogether or their fuel becomes unavailable. Hang on to your F-type.

I suspect active safety systems like autonomous braking will save far more lives than this kind of blunt response. Taken to its logical conclusion, reducing speed limits back to the Red Flag days will save even more lives but is hardly going to help run a modern economy. Meanwhile the EU legislators settle back in their Merc limos on the way to their next fabulous meal at our expense.

scm

Post by scm »

Millwheel wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:59 pm I suspect active safety systems like autonomous braking will save far more lives than this kind of blunt response.
I bet Mark Cavendish would disagree! ;)

The problem isn't actually the speed, it's the inappropriate use of speed and limiters won't address that issue. If they really want to improve the standard of driving they should prevent idiots who need the modern tech to even park the car from driving. All new tech does is allow more people who can't drive to get behind the wheel.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
basher

Post by basher »

The BBC news ran the story this morning.

Totally f***ing pissed me off, TBH. :evil:

Speeding is NOT the issue.

It's dicks on their phones.
Dicks who are drunk/drug driving.
Dicks who perform stupid overtakes.
Dicks who tailgate.
Dicks who cut in at the last second.

I see ridiculous driving every day on my commute - and all of it below the speed limit.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
Parfect

Post by Parfect »

It’s already standard on my MY19. You can turn it on or off. If you have it switched on you can override it by accelerating.
Fife Based 20MY V6 P380
Silver
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

This was discussed on another forum so I'll say what I said there.

As has been said, it's not speed per se that causes accidents, but inappropriate speed for the conditions prevailing at the time.
Despite statistics that clearly show that speeding is pretty low down on the list for causing collisions, it is still seen as an easy target to demonise instead of addressing the main causes of poor driving generally.

Stats I found online for the UK taken from DfT figures up to June 2018.

1. Driver failed to look properly – 42,189 accidents reported
2. Driver failed to judge other person’s path or speed – 21,211 accidents reported
3. Driver was careless, reckless or in a hurry – 17,845 accidents reported
4. Driver had poor turn or manoeuvre – 15,560 accidents reported
5. Loss of control – 12,151 accidents reported
6. Pedestrian failed to look properly – 8,687 accidents reported
7. Slippery road surface – 7,327 accidents reported
8. Driver was travelling too fast for conditions – 6,468 accidents reported
9. Driver was following too close – 6,040 accidents reported
10. Driver was exceeding speed limit – 5,102 accidents reported
The most common cause of accidents is driver error.
Over 100,000 (108,479) collisions occurred in the UK due to cars suddenly braking, drivers failing to look properly, poor car manoeuvring and/or loss of control.
chicb

Post by chicb »

Someone will already be working on a gizmo to switch this off, :lol:
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

How do you all think it will affect new car sales for our type of car and will it affect value (up or down?)of second hand cars without the tech installed?
scm

Post by scm »

Parfect wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:24 am It’s already standard on my MY19.
Is it speed limit aware, or is it just a limit you can set yourself?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Parfect

Post by Parfect »

It reads the speed limit signs via front camera. You can set over limit allowance such as +10%
Fife Based 20MY V6 P380
Silver
William86

Post by William86 »

It's constant news like this that makes me think that driving as we know it is dying. That's part of the reason for me to get the F-Type. One more time the way I like it: a sportscar coupe with a manual box. One final hurrah and by the time it has had its time I'm willing to concede that technology and politics might have redefined motoring.

Smart camera's have been popping up like mushrooms in my area in Belgium. It seems only a matter of time before they will be linked up to create unwavering average speed zones (not to mention the big data they collect). Luckily for us the government tends to be slow in the tech progress department ;)