Internet Of Everything - is it just me?

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

I embrace/love technology but it's the mandatory nature of the smart meter roll out under the wrong pretence (eco, more control, etc) and the fact that I have to pay for the meter which they own and I don't need as the (recently) replaced mechanical units will last the rest of my life. Even worse for solar panel owners as these meters don't count backwards and now they need to find compensations/deductibles so these homeowners don't loose the advantage they had before ;)
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red

Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Smart meters are not obligatory.
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
scm

Post by scm »

Derivative wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:22 pm Smart meters are not obligatory.
Though some suppliers make you feel like they are, apparently. I think the suppliers are obliged to fit smart meters by a certain date and may suffer penalties for failing, so they have a considerable interest in getting them installed!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

In Belgium they are as it's government controlled :(
So if I understand correctly in the UK you can choose whether you want one or not?
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red
scm

Post by scm »

SOLDES wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:47 pm So if I understand correctly in the UK you can choose whether you want one or not?
Yeah, consumer choice but, as I said earlier, I think the goverment has set targets that have to be met by the energy companies for smart meter installation. Not as much of a problem now that the type 2 meters are available as they can be switched to any supplier, the type 1s tended to lock you into a few only, so switching supplier meant either another meter change or your smart meter became dumb.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

I think its a much wider net they're casting here. First they monitor consumption patterns, and they compare with supply patterns.
Then they introduce sliding scale electricity price. You want to cook electric at 6pm : fine. Your kilowatts are 300% normal price.. :shock:

On the other side the supply. Suppose you supply with solar cells and around 15h industry is scaling down and families are not home yet.
So you supply electicity : you pay a fine , unless you let the power company decide when you're connected or not.. :oops:
Say goodbye to your payback for the solarcells you invested in... :cry:

So elderly people will cook there meals at 15h and shower also after that. They switch everything off around 17h, also the heating.
Maybe they heated a huge waterboiler around 12-15h with free electricity and now only use a small pump to circulate it in their CV.. :idea:

Electricity companies want full control, and legislators will give it under the threat " ..if not you get blackouts.." :twisted:

Controls are not installed for redundancy, but many uses are foreseen, more then we think of now as not all tricks are out of the hat yet.

And all of this still serves a purpose, since we can all profit from cheap electricity and a stable network if we know how.

But once they register how often the sensor in fridge sees beef in it, and your incometax is spiked due to your 'anti climate change' attitude,
you think back at the good old days you had a BBQ and stuffed your face with all you could eat... ;)
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

and Dan worded better what I ment with invasion :mrgreen: because that's indeed the bigger plan. Just like the black boxes in cars which are already there but will need to be accessible to insurance companies, governments, ... from 2022 under the 'life saving' excuse.
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Just reading through old posts & found this one. I am selling car & going to live on a remote island somewhere in the atlantic with no electricity, water or sewage. I'll show em eh. Oh & yes we had those meters fitted last year. Great to budget with.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

steviegtr wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:48 pm Just reading through old posts & found this one. I am selling car & going to live on a remote island somewhere in the atlantic with no electricity, water or sewage. I'll show em eh. Oh & yes we had those meters fitted last year. Great to budget with.
Careful, Rockall's causing all sorts of problems at the moment.
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Ah ok so i'm staying here then.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.