JLR - where next?

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Yet another project doom from idle journos with no news that they actually have to get off their arses and investigate.
Bit of a turnround from less than a year ago maybe?
https://www.expressandstar.com/news/bus ... and-rover/

JD power is inherently biased as it will encourage the pedants who regard minor and temporary computer glitches as making the car "unreliable" along with those who have had issues which all brands have.
Do the majority who have had no issues bother to take part I wonder.
Bit like car forums.
We tend to mainly see the moans and problems as that is the nature of the beast and can create a false impression as being perfectly happy and having no significant issues doesn't tend to start topics.
:D

santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Another point.
The industry IS BIASED - for sure. Here is a company like JLR operating ethically, introducing new designs, concepts while having a fraction of the market share and revenue of the the Big 3 Germans and yet it's nit-picked on.
Need I remind of the ultimate sin committed by VW with the illegal emissions reporting. Why does the "ethical public" or JD Power pick up on that.
If I'm coming across as a bit "emotional" on this one, it's because I am. I'm quite fond of Jaguar after all it's been through to where it's come and really doesn't deserve this flack.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

scm

Post by scm »

PhilB wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:58 am JD power is inherently biased as it will encourage the pedants who regard minor and temporary computer glitches as making the car "unreliable" along with those who have had issues which all brands have.
That's the i-Pace at the bottom of the list, then! ;)
But, judging from the sister forum, their owners still love the car, which says it all, really.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

scm wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:35 pm That's the i-Pace at the bottom of the list, then! ;)
I sometimes drop into the i-Pace forum to have a look.
I have no idea what most of it is about................. :lol:
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

JD power is inherently biased as it will encourage the pedants who regard minor and temporary computer glitches as making the car "unreliable" along with those who have had issues which all brands have.
Bit like car forums.
We tend to mainly see the moans and problems as that is the nature of the beast and can create a false impression as being perfectly happy and having no significant issues doesn't tend to start topics.
[/quote]

Agreed! And they don’t factor in the expectations of the owner. Someone buying a Toyota Corolla is not expecting much compared to Jaguar buyers.
scm

Post by scm »

PhilB wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:45 pm
scm wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:35 pm That's the i-Pace at the bottom of the list, then! ;)
I sometimes drop into the i-Pace forum to have a look.
I have no idea what most of it is about................. :lol:
You and me both! Seems to me the main buying point is the cheap "fuel", like diesel drivers. F-Type owners are immune to such trivia! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

GusA wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:48 pm JD power is inherently biased as it will encourage the pedants who regard minor and temporary computer glitches as making the car "unreliable" along with those who have had issues which all brands have.
Bit like car forums.
Agreed! And they don’t factor in the expectations of the owner. Someone buying a Toyota Corolla is not expecting much compared to Jaguar buyers.
[/quote]
Totally agree with these comments.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I do love the partisan attitude of marque specific forums
Same with BMW and Jeep forums which I do or have owned both recently
One minute here we’re bemoaning Ill fitting doors, rusting crossmembers, poor dealerships and plenty more. Next all is rosy in the garden and it’s all twisted stats. :)
I have 1 jag and one LR and love them, but let’s be realistic about the JLR product, reliability, profitability and near term prospects
This year they lost nearly £7k on every car they made in group. They lost nearly twice what they have ever made in any previous year. Sure some is one off redundancy, but that itself is another story. Consider brexit, decreasing global market, trade wars and they don’t look like good news for the future
We shall see what’s next and sadly I doubt we have long to speculate
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

cj10jeeper wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 pm I do love the partisan attitude of marque specific forums
Same with BMW and Jeep forums which I do or have owned both recently
One minute here we’re bemoaning Ill fitting doors, rusting crossmembers, poor dealerships and plenty more. Next all is rosy in the garden and it’s all twisted stats. :)
I think there is an element of being partisan but moreso there is the silent majority who don't usually post on mundane things, but when they feel things aren't being portrayed fairly and in a balanced way they will react.
In the same way if someone joins just to bemoan the car due their issues, you will see a lot of counter opinions.
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

I don’t really think it’s much of an issue
All manufacturers are suffering, JLR are down by 5% on total sales
Considering brexit, diesel uncertainty and the market shift in China I’d say 5% isn’t that bad

Whilst sales are down 5%, China sales are down by 35%. When you consider the profit margins in China are more than double that of any other region it’s easy to see falling revenues.

North America sales have had a 12% increase this year which for Jlr is their biggest growth in the last 6 years, and surprisingly UK sales have seen a little boom in the last quarter too

I won’t sing JLR’s praises - quality and reliability is crap. 1 in 4 cars (not model specific) has an issue.

Over investment in new infrastructure has also been a major factor accounting for around £300m in the recent figures published.

In my opinion it’s a short term blip which needed to happen as they grew too fast and took on too much ‘fat’. A trim was needed and that is what’s happening internally