F-Type Grand Tour of alpine regions in Europe

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

JurassicF wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:03 amGreat videos Dan. Given how much brake dust mine sheds in normal driving, you must have been permanently cleaning your wheels.
Thanks ! Was meant to be 5x better, but the first time since they started recording snowfall, 70% of the mountain passes
were still closed in mid-may..

Even now : Splügen pas is closed, while we've been trhough it. Also Lukmanier has been closed since we made the last video.
Now Susten-pass has not even opened yet at all ! Aso Col de Lein [Martigny] is still closed..

What's still closed [ ore closed again ], is not as much for remaining snow on the roads, but the slopes are unstable and avalanches of snow
and rock are to likely to let traffic pass in its likely trajectories...

We actually never cleaned the car in 3 weeks ! We had torrential rain sometimes, also it rained at night.
But the brakes were smelling seriously, almost every descent. I even send a picture to my mechanic to see
if there was enough left on the shoes... :?
Last edited by Dan_Veluwe on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|

Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

AngieR wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:14 am Just curious, did your son share the driving ?
Yes ! He actually did a lot more driving then me. I have some back problems and holding my arms up when driving
gets painfull... When you hear my voice in the background " ..rustig.." [ =slowly..] , its me trying not to panick as he
storms into a bend again..

He actually had a steep learning curve. It was not only a holiday and good fun, but also a secret 'chaperone' trip,
as I could stop him making serious leaps of judgement ! I soon found out why young drivers get into accidents.
If he wants to overtake he only took into account the lenght of road he think he needs ; forgetting to allow for
the same distance for oncoming traffic !

And on several occasions I had to shout " DON'T !!!! " ... But after 4000km he's fine. I now can even sleep when
het drives.. :lol:

Also he has a serious racing simulator, in which he did more then 1000 hours. That gives the illusion you can do
the same on the road. When I tried the simulator, I immediately found it unnatural to drive. I have over forty
years of driving, more then a million km's and over sixty different cars experience : I can tell when its not correct.

This was confirmed on a ' taxi ' trip in a XJ V8SVR with Dale Lomas [ Jaguar test driver ]. We heared most deadly
accidents happen when people who normallty drive simulators get on the track and fly out the first curve...
AngieR

Post by AngieR »

That sounds like a fantastic trip. Great experience for your son and something I am sure he will never forget. An opportunity to spend some quality time with him.

I have been driving more years than I care to admit to and like to consider myself competent, however driving on the other side of the road does not appeal. Have done it in the USA and didn't enjoy it.
P300 R Dynamic - 2021
British Racing Green Metallic
Pano Roof
20" Wheels Dark Grey Diamond Turned Finish.
Lots of extras.
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@AngieR.

I have been many times to the UK. Almost every time my wife had to say "left" when we left the B&B... :)
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

Enjoyed the videos a lot and reminds me when I got my Camaro 2 years ago and with 500km on the odo took it to a trip around Switzerland.
Your son is lucky, when I started learning to drive it was in a Suzuki Samurai around the flat fields and backroads lol
Nick
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@Soldes.
My son started with our Mito.. ... with which he hit a parked car as the nose of the MiTo was
10cm about more then the A3 he had for lessons..

He paid the € 1500,- damages from his own pocket, as that is the deal with all three children.
They drive my cars, but I do not claim damages below € 2500 since the premiums for the insurance would go up..
Sofar my son was the only with damage. Both daughters 24/21 did not have any problem. Both drive since 18th birthday..

My wife is the worsed driver. I lost count on that. But the last time was 2010, but two massive
dents in short time. One with the Nissan Patrol , coming out of a parking garage. I told her specificly in detail why she should
not go to that garage, and why. She went in anyway : € 5800,- in repairs for sill, both righthand doors, rear wheel and fender..
Next : Nissan X-Trail.. She drove to fast in winter, wanted to turn left on a T-junction, went sideways into a lamppost.
Almost same location as with Patrol : one door, fender and rear window smashed.. Since then she drives a lot slower.. :mrgreen:

Son now drives 80% time with BMW, and the F-Type if we go somewhere together. But we'll take the LanRover back in two weeks.
He'd love to drive that, I know.. Sofar he only did off-road. First time when he was ten, on a track in Oss. But he's been driving our
mini-Iseki tractor since he was 8, to cut the fields and level the horse ring..
scm

Post by scm »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:32 am They drive my cars, but I do not claim damages below € 2500 since the premiums for the insurance would go up..
In the UK you still have to nofity your insurers of any accidents - to not do so could allow them to invalidate your insurance since you're not keeping them up to date of anything that would influence their idea of the risk you pose to them, even if you don't make a claim.

Hope it's not the same where you are, or you could be in trouble.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@SCM.
Thanks for the remark, but its different here. We first claimed it, but then it came out we had an ' own risk ' of € 500 for the damage on the MiTo and on the other car.... The remaining € 500 would cost about € 2000 in extra premiums upto achieving again the 75% discount I have now for three eons of damage free driving 8-) . So we informed parties we would foot the bill. Not a problem for anyone here. :roll:
Except my son ofcourse..
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

Movie.. Lago Maggiore to Furkastrasse..

Along the lake, through a canyon, over the Simplon to Brig, on the Furkastrasse..

The stretch through the canyon..

bochtjes.jpg

Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

+++ until juli 15th I am otherwise engaged, so for the last 6 episodes [ French Alps and Pyrenees..] , you have to be patient +++

belalp.jpg

We wanted to go for a walk to see the Aletsch glacier. But the cabinlift was closed for repairs ;
they don't bother to mention that on their website !

Very nice weather an great views of the snowy peaks.. .just 5 minutes only..

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post