Dash cam

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
Jagalot

Post by Jagalot »

Anyone got any recommendations for one of theses dash cam thingys which record about 15 mins of video in a loop?

I'm considering one but I want it to be discrete and to have a reasonable battery life rather than having to use a USB lead up the window.

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird »

Your problem with all the small dashcams is battery - few have any more juice than enough to shut it diwn without losing footage.

https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/

The Mobius is very small and can be modded to use capacitors rather than batteries to give more time. However, for more than a few mins, you really will be looking to wire it in.

I have bought a G90 https://joovuu.com/gb/home/196-g90-car-camera.html

Waiting for an auto electrician to hard wire it.

This guy has a fair few reviews of various types plus sample footage. http://www.techmoan.com/
Jagalot

Post by Jagalot »

Many thanks Bluebird, very useful.
Jagalot

Post by Jagalot »

I finally decided to go for the Möbius. Mounting proved tricky but I settled upon a homemade wedge to fix it next to the mirror mount.

The USB charger lead runs under the passenger sun visor, down the door pillar, behind the seat and into the auxiliary power supply in the arm rest cubby hole. Thus the power cable is out of sight and is switchable with the ignition meaning it is always on when driving.

Jagalot2015-01-31 15:38:12
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Really interesting. Do you have any footage as I quite fancy one of these..

Is it very noticeable when driving?
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
Jagalot

Post by Jagalot »

The footage is quite good unless the sun is directly ahead in which case it's a little overexposed. When driving I don't notice it as I positioned the camera on the passenger side of the rear view mirror.

If you do fit this model, don't underestimate the time needed to keep tweaking the mount angle. As it doesn't have a screen, you have to keep shooting and reviewing to get it right. I think it's worth the time though as those with a screen look too big, like having a sat nav stuck on all the time.

I'm not sure now to upload footage to this site. Is it possible?
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I've just bought a dashcam and have also bought a hardwire kit. Anyone found a permanent live feed or one that feeds when the ignition is on near the rear view mirror? I've managed to get the courtesy light module out the roof but I don't want to mess with it!
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
Bluebird

Post by Bluebird »

An auto electrician wired mine into the rear view mirror box thingie .... yup , I'm that technical :)
Tel

Post by Tel »

I'm thinking of getting one of these thingies in due course - Any chance of seeing a small clip of some of your recorded video please guys?
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

Hi Tel,

I've ordered one of the new Mini 0806 models which I will have hardwired in. There is both day and night time footage on the page below:-

http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/mini-0806.html

It's amazing how many models of dashcams are available. This one is one of the smallest with a screen and has two micro SD slots supporting up to 256gb of storage and records at 45frames per second at 1080P which should ensure very smooth video playback.

I will post a review of the camera once I have had time to assess it properly.

Regards.

Scoobydoo
Salsa Red V6S Coupe, Performance Heated Seats, Memory Pack, 20" DC Gyrodynes, Heated Windscreen, Blind Spot Detection & CVS, Meridian Audio, Powered Tailgate, Illuminated Tread Plates and Big Smile!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post