Winter welding projects

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

So with winter round the corner & car wrapped up, needed something to do with my hobby time. I have had a few Tig welders & Mig + stick. But fancied doing some alloy welding, so I bought myself a good quality AC DC Tig welding set. Just got it all set up in garage & done some alloy welding. God it's hard going. But looking forward to passing some time in the workshop sticking things together.

Thermal arc.jpg

2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.

Philskill

Post by Philskill »

I've done Arc welding once, new sill end on a mini metro, certainly takes some practice, surely you bought it with something in mind? Not on the Jag one Hope's.

Have fun!
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

From school I went to be a sheet metal working apprentice. After 6 mths my dad got me a job as an apprentice electrician which is what I did for the rest of my career. Those 6 mths taught me how to Gas & electric weld. Throughout my life I have rebuilt many cars & the welding experience learned at 15yrs old was brilliant. I have done a lot of tig stainless steel & mild steel welding but Alloy. Phew it is very hard. This machine has about 8 parameters to set for each type of job. 1st attempt see pics was a disaster. Today I have been playing again taking note of what I have watched on you tube. Even the shape of the tungsten tip is different for alloy. I will persevere & then who knows. Maybe some polished Alloy inlet tubes for car.1st attempt at Alloy.

1st attempt at Alloy.jpg

2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

Keep going Stevie you’ll get there, I agree welding is a skill you need to practice, many years ago after I qualified as an engineer I left the factory to get a job in sales management selling Arc, Mig and Tig welding equipment and we all had to know how to demonstrate it, we even did metal spraying on shafts, all skills you never forget, like swimming or riding a bike.

Yes I’d be very interested to follow your progress Stevie,

Kind regards,

Steve
2016 V8 R AWD Coupe Italian Racing Red, Black Alloys & Pano Roof
davidd

Post by davidd »

I did something similar, an btec in general engineering, we did mig, gas and some other welding stuff, has been really useful over the years.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Good skill to have. A Jeep buddy of mine is a pro alloy welder and makes things like coolant tanks for trains. He has so much welded alloy, boxes, etc on his Jeep and they look like works of art. Every seam like it's robotic welded, but just made from bits in his lunch break
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more