Coronavirus

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Not a great deal of freedom here in the UK at the moment so it'll hit hard if/when it becomes more restrictive.

Fortunately we've had superb weather this week so it's been great to get out the garden etc.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Philskill wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:43 pm They've turned upward as the American stimulus package seems to be happening, A bit of relief but still way down from such a short time ago!

Yes, a bit of relief for a little while but the Dow Jones is heading back down again.

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) warning, makes unnerving reading........

https://www.ccn.com/dow-recoils-as-imf- ... 008-crash/
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:45 am Anyway back on topic - re-entered the stock market today in a fairly strong way. Need to replenish the pension deficit over the coming years, Time will tell if wise or I poured petrol onto my pension pot cash fire..

Not sure if you invested directly in the markets or via your pension?

To help replenish your pension deficit you can pay up to 100% of your pensionable annual salary into it and the Government will give you 20% tax relief on this. You can only receive higher rate tax relief to the extent that you have paid it.

Example (based on 20% tax relief): If you paid in a net lump sum of £6,000, the Government will add 20% tax relief which takes it to £7,500. That’s a good head start on your investment!

You can also ‘carry forward’ any unused allowance for the previous 3 years. Before you can do this you have to fully utilise your allowance for the current tax year (see link below).

https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org ... ry-forward

I have recently topped up my workplace pension to fully utilise my annual allowance before the end of the 2019/2020 financial year. I was lucky enough to do this when the markets hit one of their recent low points. This means I got good value for money.......similar to buying a whole fresh salmon at the supermarket reduced counter for £5 instead of £30!.......That’s the way I look at it!

Long term, I think this will definitely be worthwhile.
Last edited by RPSN on Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Having some cash in Premium bonds, I'm thinking of moving some of this into a FTSE100 tracker. But when? Do you think FTSE will go down to 3500? For a short term gain I need to be close to the lowest point. I guess it still has some more lowering to go.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

It does seem like the markets have further to fall and the FTSE 100 could go a lot lower? It’s very difficult to time the bottom correctly.......even more so in the current situation.

What is almost certain is the fact that sometime in the future, markets will be higher than they are now, so this could be seen as a good buying opportunity.

The following information could help you decide on what to do?

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has indicated that the global economy is already in a recession and this is what was said in the article I posted yesterday........

”We have reassessed the prospect for growth for 2020 and 2021. It is now clear that we have entered a recession – as bad as or worse than 2009.”

“We do project recovery in 2021 – in fact there may be a sizeable rebound, but only if we succeed with containing the virus – everywhere – and prevent liquidity problems from becoming a solvency issue.”

“A key concern about a long-lasting impact of the sudden stop of the world economy is the risk of a wave of bankruptcies and layoffs that not only can undermine the recovery but can erode the fabric of our societies.”

This pragmatic view articulates the complicated forecasts of many stock market investors who hold out hope that conditions will improve soon – but can’t ignore the glaring downside risks either.

As always, you’re taking a risk when you invest in the stock markets and you should only gamble with money you can afford to lose. Personally, I’m in it for the long term as I’ve still got time on my side.......just about!
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

RPSN wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:33 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:45 am Anyway back on topic - re-entered the stock market today in a fairly strong way. Need to replenish the pension deficit over the coming years, Time will tell if wise or I poured petrol onto my pension pot cash fire..

Not sure if you invested directly in the markets or via your pension?

To help replenish your pension deficit you can pay up to 100% of your gross annual salary into your pension and the Government will give you 20% tax relief on it. You can only receive higher rate tax relief to the extent that you have paid it.

Example (based on 20% tax relief): If you paid in a net lump sum of £6,000, the Government will add 20% tax relief which takes it to £7,500. That’s a good head start on your investment!

You can also ‘carry forward’ any unused allowance for the previous 3 years but you won’t get any tax relief on it. Before you can do this you have to fully utilise your allowance for the current tax year (see link below).

https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org ... ry-forward

I have recently topped up my workplace pension to fully utilise my annual allowance before the end of the 2019/2020 financial year. I was lucky enough to do this when the markets hit one of their recent low points. This means I got good value for money.......similar to buying a whole fresh salmon at the supermarket reduced counter for £5 instead of £30!.......That’s the way I look at it!

Long term, I think this will definitely be worthwhile.
RPSN
I should have been clearer that I did indeed go back via my pension. On a public forum I won't go into detail, but the part I invested in is self-managed and directly into growth equities.
Given I own the company and am an employee it's a useful way to 'lose' money in the financial year gifting it to me.
I'm well aware of the allowances, carry-back, etc. so I see the current crash as a significant opportunity to catch the market at a lower position where in the next couple of years we should see a substantial recovery

As for directly investing in the market I follow the Warren Buffet mantra that 'if you don't feel comfortable owning a stock for 10 years, you shouldn't own it for 10 minutes'
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Good to see you’re aware of the benefits of investing through a pension and that you're adhering to the mantra of the ‘Sage of Omaha’!
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Most news outlets seem to be refencing this site now which has more detail on coronavirus data.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

About the only good thing about this lockdown is how quiet the roads are.I took the Jaguar "out shopping" yesterday and must say, it's made for the open road (no traffic).

On a different tack, the stock markets are in for a ride still.
Last edited by PhilB on Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removing politics
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Please leave the politics out.
Thanks.