Contribute to tunnel design

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

Highways England are seeking user input into new tunnel design. While the initial focus is the A303 Stonehenge tunnel (that people who have never been near the bloody awful A303 will forbid, of course) it will influence future design standards.

https://wh1.snapsurveys.com/s.asp?k=159430812581

Well worth contributing to; it’s rare the authorities ever ask our opinion.

Many of use will have found tunnels disorientating. The worst thing for me is in places like Italy when you drive at speed from the brilliant sunshine into overwhelming gloom until your eyes adapt (and you risk loss of car control waiting for your Transitions to clear and/or ripping off your sunglasses and dropping them under the pedals) and on the other side emerging from effectively nighttime back into the aforementioned brilliant sunshine and suffering a whiteout until said Transitions darken again and/or make futile attempts to get your sunglasses back from under the pedals.

scm

Post by scm »

Millwheel wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:23 am Many of us will have found tunnels disorientating. The worst thing for me is in places like Italy when you drive at speed from the brilliant sunshine into overwhelming gloom until your eyes adapt (and you risk loss of car control waiting for your Transitions to clear and/or ripping off your sunglasses and dropping them under the pedals) and on the other side emerging from effectively nighttime back into the aforementioned brilliant sunshine and suffering a whiteout until said Transitions darken again and/or make futile attempts to get your sunglasses back from under the pedals.
The trick is to close one eye as you approach, then swap eyes once in there. Same thing on the way out.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I think the old Mersey tunnel had lighter sections at the entrance/exit to get your eyes used to the change. But I'm remembering from when I was a kid, so I might be wrong.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Don't walk towards the light! :lol:
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
scm

Post by scm »

Lunar wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:51 pm Don't walk towards the light! :lol:
He wasn't - he was driving towards the dark! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

I used to live in Genoa for 5 years and loved the tunnels around Liguria.
Had a couple of Porsche cars whilst living there and the noise through the tunnels....awesome. Would love to take the F Type around there.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
stickshift steve

Post by stickshift steve »

The problem i have then coming out of tunnels is there is usually a bulldozer just outside it that i crash into . I have lost 3 Lamborghini Miuras so far this year.
Tel

Post by Tel »

stickshift steve wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:36 pm The problem i have then coming out of tunnels is there is usually a bulldozer just outside it that i crash into . I have lost 3 Lamborghini Miuras so far this year.
Bit like the Bermuda triangle - They'll appear again in a year or two don't worry.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Tel

Post by Tel »

scm wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:03 am
Millwheel wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:23 am Many of us will have found tunnels disorientating. The worst thing for me is in places like Italy when you drive at speed from the brilliant sunshine into overwhelming gloom until your eyes adapt (and you risk loss of car control waiting for your Transitions to clear and/or ripping off your sunglasses and dropping them under the pedals) and on the other side emerging from effectively nighttime back into the aforementioned brilliant sunshine and suffering a whiteout until said Transitions darken again and/or make futile attempts to get your sunglasses back from under the pedals.
The trick is to close one eye as you approach, then swap eyes once in there. Same thing on the way out.
Not so clever if he happens to be a pirate now is it!?
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩