Immobiliser and Tracker

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Discounting the likes of the Ghost, where you have to do a certain procedure every time you start the car, what is the best immobiliser and tracker to look for - specifically for a new convertible?
Are there any important differences to consider with the upper end models?
I’ve seen some with fobs that you clearly don’t want to have hanging on your car keys - or to leave behind somewhere.
I’ve tried searching reviews and forums but there is a lot of variable advice out there.
Any succinct and specific advice much appreciated - thanks in advance.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

Cluck

Post by Cluck »

I believe the newer versions of Ghost can pair with your phone, so you don't need to remember a combo. This is also the way the tracker I have works, the theory being that everybody has their phone on them.

The one thing I would check, though, is whether the phone app then needs to "phone home" to authorise things, rather than the simple presence of the phone being enough. It is a fairly aggravating aspect of mine, as although there is always enough signal for the tracker to communicate with the monitoring service, my phone signal varies wildly. That said, the monitoring station always call me in these circumstances. In theory I should be able to open the app, get in the car and drive off, but it regularly requires a further point of authorisation (my fingerprint on the phone) which isn't exactly legal once you're on the move. I've got one of the Smarttrack systems.

I've thought about reverting back to the NFC card option, but I don't always carry my wallet on me, whereas my phone is always with me.

EDIT: I used trackerfit to order and install mine. I spoke to them in advance and the Smartrack was the one they recommended. Part of my decision process was finding one that had a lifetime subscription option, rather than yearly.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Thanks Cluck, some very useful feedback there.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post