JLR all electric by 2025

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Really, they can't be only producing all electric by 2025!

Do they mean they'll have an electric version of each of their models by 2025?

And if the government bans sales of ICE cars from 2030 onwards, does that mean all residents of flats, terraced and no off street parking houses will be limited to only buying second-hand ICE cars?

I work in the auto industry and while the car companies are definitely transitioning to electric cars, under massive political pressure, I just don't see how it can happen in such a short timescale.

Still, on the plus side, we've got loads on spare electricty generating capacity don't we :shock: let's see what happens to the price of a KwH once they loose the fuel tax.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts

stevejag

Post by stevejag »

scharlton wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:01 am Really, they can't be only producing all electric by 2025!

And if the government bans sales of ICE cars from 2030 onwards, does that mean all residents of flats, terraced and no off street parking houses will be limited to only buying second-hand ICE cars?

I work in the auto industry and while the car companies are definitely transitioning to electric cars, under massive political pressure, I just don't see how it can happen in such a short timescale.

Still, on the plus side, we've got loads on spare electricty generating capacity don't we :shock: let's see what happens to the price of a KwH once they loose the fuel tax.
Totally agree , the whole idea is frightening , how on earth are people to afford these cars and then charge them on limited facilities !
Caldera red awd v8 fixed spoiler :mrgreen:
scm

Post by scm »

scharlton wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:01 am Really, they can't be only producing all electric by 2025!

No, it means they won't be producing ICE vehicles - only fully electric ones. Doesn't mean they'll have a one for one replacement of the existing range. They should never have employed an ex-BMWer to run the company. :(
scharlton wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:01 amAnd if the government bans sales of ICE cars from 2030 onwards, does that mean all residents of flats, terraced and no off street parking houses will be limited to only buying second-hand ICE cars?
Well, that'd be good for recycling - not everyone can afford the upfront costs of an EV anyway. It does mean that the cars won't be as environmentally sound since older cars are generally more polluting than new ones. Not so much shooting themselves in the foot as chopping their leg off!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

When 2030 comes along the government which ever is in power will do the usual turn around after costing many manufacturers millions in waisted development there has been no thought given to the hundreds of thousands of people that can only afford a old car and struggle to make ends meet on a daily basis or the old who survive on a state pension and need there little old micra for there independence. Amazon will no doubt be selling 1000 metre charging cables for those who live on the 20th floor. There is little charging infrastructure here in the north lets face it there's still villages in this country that haven't even got Internet access and how long has that been available. I hope it doesn't happen and another option is developed. Thats it rant over.
White V6S, red interior. Black 20inch alloy wheels.
Philb280

Post by Philb280 »

^^^^^^^^^
What he said - hope it doesn’t happen too.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

There needs to be a lot more thought into electric car affordability, access to suitable charging, sustainability (as in mining nickel and shipping it around the world), recycling and of course the electric grid, consumption and reliability.

I would argue that an electric car over its life might be worse for the environment then a locally built efficient petrol car?

In addition, the wind blew a little bit 11 days ago and there are still 1000's with no electricity.

In one hand I cannot believe this is the future of personal transport. Although if I could afford a Tesla Model S Plaid as a second car I would.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

simpleR wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:44 pm I would argue that an electric car over its life might be worse for the environment then a locally built efficient petrol car?
Funnily enough previous studies and this bloke are arguing the same:

Cluck

Post by Cluck »

The simple fact is, shifting away from burning fossil fuels in our cars, buses, lorries, ships and aeroplanes is going to cost an almost unimaginable amount of money. And when money is involved, everything goes to shit. In my simplistic view of an ideal world, we would have 100% renewable energy producing hydrogen and power the land-based vehicles from that but I just can't see that happening, sadly.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I spent the early years of my working life depending on £500 second hand cars which I could fix myself when they went wrong. Current EVs are unlikely to ever become that affordable or fixable, and with range reducing by almost 50% after 8 years they will become uneconomic to keep on the road, given current battery costs. The ability to work from home for some jobs eases the situation but there needs to be an affordable route into personal transport for a large proportion of the workforce, especially the young. I think ICE cars will be with us for some time as there isn’t currently anything to replace them in this sector.
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Would like to see the cost benefit done properly, don’t think it has ever been done that I can see. When I say cost benefit I mean the environmental cost of the additional copper mining, the changes to electricity supply, the removal and disposal of all the batteries etc. I just don’t believe that EV’s will be so beneficial and the fact that companies like Tesla only make a profit due to Government subsidies that they can sell as credits to other manufacturers shows where the industry is at right now. I will buy another ICE car before manufacturing is changed or get a V8 F-Type second hand shortly thereafter.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post