mobile data sim info needed

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
Hotlurve

Post by Hotlurve »

my missus has just ordered an mg zs ev to knock around town in and there is an app available for it to do stuff like set the heater, lock the car ect remotely. im assuming this needs a data sim to work and mg want 599.00 on top of the ticket price to supply whats known as mg connect…..
this gives you remote control of all aspects of the car plus amazon music and some extra voice function commands like im hot , im cold, open the sunroof blah blah….
the latter isn’t needed as her phone will suffice for music and if she wants to open the sunroof well theres a button !

my question is as follows, is there a cheapish yearly one off paid sim card that will allow the mg ismart app to let her phone talk to the car ( im assuming thats how it works) how much data does the odd turn up the heating command ect take ? she can use google maps for sat nav so i dont want the incar nav using data !

all she wants to do is just remote control a few actions on the car ie on frosty mornings or hot days ect before she gets in it.

appreciate this is not a jag related question but i dont have this function on either of my cars so i know very little about it.
Polaris White 380 rdstr, 2013, extnd leather,perf seats, cyclone 20”, Ferrari 458 spider 2015, Bianco avus,carbon pack, carbon seats, front lift, musician, biker,.
Money may not buy you happiness but I’d rather cry in a Jag than a bus. (or a 458)

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

My inclination is that you cannot simply use your own data sim as Ring/MG will have a licence for their software and apps.
For my Evoque which is a later model than my F type there are actually 4 licences, covering all sorts of things of which one is for connection to the car.
Separately an annual data sim gives me in car data, Wi-Fi, etc.
I therefore am pretty sure that unless you pay you won’t get the remote functionality you want.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

£600 for MG "Incontrol" functions makes Jaguar seem like a bargain!

BTW, the abbreviation for "et cetera" is "etc." - it hurts my eyes to read "ect".
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Hotlurve

Post by Hotlurve »

well i spoke to the dealer today and it appears that the over the air control of the car like doors locked unlocked, turning on and of the heater and other remote functions are all free ! a sim is not needed as there is an in built system that covers it all. you just connect your mobile to the car and off you go…..
no purchase necessary !
Polaris White 380 rdstr, 2013, extnd leather,perf seats, cyclone 20”, Ferrari 458 spider 2015, Bianco avus,carbon pack, carbon seats, front lift, musician, biker,.
Money may not buy you happiness but I’d rather cry in a Jag than a bus. (or a 458)
scm

Post by scm »

Hotlurve wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:33 pm well i spoke to the dealer today and it appears that the over the air control of the car like doors locked unlocked, turning on and of the heater and other remote functions are all free ! a sim is not needed as there is an in built system that covers it all. you just connect your mobile to the car and off you go…..
Same as the Jag then, but the InControl subscription isn't "free" - it's included in the price for the first three years (UK). The user SIM only is needed if you want additional online stuff that Jag isn't prepared to subsidise.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post