Rusty rear cross brace

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Tewy

Post by Tewy »

Just received a goodwill payment from JLR towards replacing my struts on MY66 f type. This is not easy to get a result so I suggest you get your facts about the issue and present them through your local Jaguar garage. They will do a report and then send it off to JLR. I got a negative reply but would not let it go, as I had done my homework about the issue and persisted with the claim. To get information about this issue just enter F type rust on the internet and all will be revealed.
F type 3.0 V6 supercharged manual, Honda CRV, Jaguar XJ-SC manual 3.6

Tewy

Post by Tewy »

Arne wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:31 pm Mine looks not too good either on certain Places (not as bad as the pics above though), even though I do not use it in winter conditions (salty roads). So I have just had a talk with a friend of mine that runs a bodyshop/workshop and has specialiced in anti-rust/corrosion treatment. He said that he could treat all affected areas with a special primer that will react to and stop the rust that has allready occured (since the rust does not go deep on an "almost new" car, so no sandblasting is needed). Then he will spray all appropriate areas with another "stuff" (and not Mercasol which they usually use for the "everyday use car") that gives a thin and almost transparent layer that looks a lot better than the Mercasol - and has almost as good protective properties. It should be more than good enough on a car that is not used on gravel roads and in winter time. As soon as our roads are dry and clean from salt, I will take the car to his workshop and have it done. It will give some more "peace in mind", as this car is a keeper for me
Hi,
In my opinion these braces have to be removed to get a good result in protecting them from rust. They are constructed with box sectioned steel and it is difficult to get to certain parts of the braces, such as the larger one that is behind the silencer. When you remove them the rust is quite prevalent under the loose paintwork, so this has to be removed to start the renovation process. 2 of the braces are easy to remove but the larger X shaped one you have to remove the silencer. This is not an easy job as this brace weighs 50kg+ and is hard to support by just jacking up the rear end or the car.
Fez

Post by Fez »

I agree should of been a recall, but it takes everyone to contact Jaguar at the same time to get a result. An to be honest the new braces are no better according to those in the industry. Case of getting a set treat properly yourself then asking someone to help you fit...
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Tewy

Post by Tewy »

I believe JEC are monitoring the new braces and as far as I am aware there is not a definite answer about them. I ordered new ones and gave them an extra paint. After many emails to JLR they eventually agreed a contribution, so when this was authorised I got my local Jaguar garage to fit them at a cost of £117. The goodwill payment did not cover the whole job but to help with this I retrieved the old panels, renovated them and sold them on. The old panels had a lot of surface rust on them but were solid. My car is 4yr old and I am intending to keep for a long time so it was important to sort out this rust now.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post