Rusty rear cross brace

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Phil

Post by Phil »

Had my F type for 3 years just had it MOT this was carried out at a friends garage while on the ramp I had a look under neath I was shocked to see the amount of rust which has started forming on the rear diff frame also rust on the cross brace, I feel the price you pay for a car like this components should be powder coated.
Has any body out there looked at these points on there car yet.

The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Yes. I have the impression that those bits are starting to rust by the time the cars reach the dealers.

I coated the whole of the underside of my car with ACF50 'corrosion blocker' so hopefully it will keep the rust from getting worse. It's one reason why I take my car off the road when the gritters fire up.

That said...These particular mild steel components are just a few bolt-on parts that could easily be taken off and referb'd at any time in the future, so it's not the end of the world. I agree with you however, that for the cost of these cars, they could have made those components out of stainless steel. They're not huge components.
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
MB_FTYPE

Post by MB_FTYPE »

ouch... Can you send us some photos of where the rust appears? and also what product you used to spray on it? Thanks
MOz

Post by MOz »

ACF50.

Google it.

Motorcyclists swear by it.
V6S ragtop, Salsa Red, 20" Cyclones, extended black leather performance interior with red stitching and the finest exhaust note in motoring history.
Big Bri

Post by Big Bri »

I suspect they are all the same. I bought my car second hand after it had gone through just one winter. In the spring, While I had a rear wheel off I had a look underneath and was alarmed to find the same problem. I agree as has been said. It's hard to accept on such a high cost car. At least the problem is localised. I don't think there's much more steel other than what you can see here.

MB_FTYPE

Post by MB_FTYPE »

Thank you so much for sending the photo! It's great to see as I don't think many of us have thought about it. I'm getting that spray soon and making sure it doesnt happen! Smile Great Help!
Tel

Post by Tel »

The day my car left the showroom, I had it up on the lift for 3 coats of 'corrosion guard' to seal the pores of the Aluminium, as there is so much of it. I'm pretty anal about my cars being as clean underneath as on top, as I show it.
The one thing that I did give extra attention to was the rear diff frame. The paint on here was incredibly thin, and if you drive your car in anything other than dry conditions, it will end up like the picture above.
Powder coating is possibly the worst idea, it's brittle and comes off in flakes. Take it back to bare metal, spray it with primer and a few odd coats of whatever colour. Once that lot is dry, coat with your chosen corrosion blocker.
Cars, aren't built to last like they once were. You need to get in early to do preventative maintenance BEFORE they fall apart unfortunately.
Don't forget; If you drive your car in winter, spend a good few minutes spraying the underside of the car with the hose to wash off the salt, up and around the wheel arches, pretty much everywhere as it turns cars to dust!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

I've not been under to have a look but this time of year do ensure the underside I can see gets a good clean shower ...

Has anyone approached Jaguar under warranty? The Honda I'd similar construction materials to the Jaguar ... that's 18yrs old and doesn't have as much as the photos below ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

I'm a big believer in making sure the bits you can't see are kept in as good condition as the bits you can see. When you start to look around and see all the electrical connectors, sensors and other gismos dotted around the underside of the car, I reckon it's well worth the effort.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=740&p=4483&hilit=p ... nter#p4483
Last edited by The Jagster on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
Jagman14

Post by Jagman14 »

OMG look at that rust!! :(

Thanks for the heads up... will check mine when it comes out of its winter sleep...Wont be long now hopefully! :)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post