Rusty rear cross brace

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
basher

Post by basher »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:14 pm Guys, my car is a few months old. Tomorrow in to the dealer to rustproof the metal parts !
Actually I just have seen my Alfa MiTo on the bridge with the dealers : same problem, only that is 7 years old..
Dan,

Are you paying for this or getting it done under warranty?

My car is due its 1st service next month and I'm considering getting the same done to mine.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁

Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@Basher.
I looked under my car yesterday when the mechanic was spraying it with tectyl. Looked brand new, but only saw sunshine sofar when driving..
He used one can and took about 45mins to spray all bolts and blackpainted metal parts. They all look simple parts and easy to replace...

Well, my garage is also my Discovery 3 dealer/garage for 10 years. Sofar I did not get any additional bill even for extra's beyond normal 'delivery service' . If I get a bill it will be no more then € 100,- . But I had an issue with the rear spoiler [ defect message ], I'll punt in anothet topic.
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
Looking_4_BRG_F-Type

Post by Looking_4_BRG_F-Type »

Having read about the rear cross brace issues on here I had the dealer send me a photo of the underside of the car I'm purchasing. Looks like it obviously had the same reported issue as they've given it a paint....It's a 3 year old car, 32,000 miles.

For those that know more than me does everything else look ok under there? Black marks on the exhaust?

image004.jpg

V6 (340) - Coupe - British Racing Green
Ftypeharv

Post by Ftypeharv »

I think that looks pretty mint for 3yrs/32k miles - i'd personally be happy given age and mileage and would say its mainly been used in the dry and not on gritted roads
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

Looking_4_BRG_F-Type wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 am Black marks on the exhaust?
I think the black marks on the exhausts is condensation water leaking out at the joints, maybe not 100% tight..
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:39 pm
Looking_4_BRG_F-Type wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 am Black marks on the exhaust?
I think the black marks on the exhausts is condensation water leaking out at the joints, maybe not 100% tight..
I’d agree with that. Small amounts of carbon soot washed out as residual moisture at start up leaks out
You’ll never seal the joints though -it’s normal when cold
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Looking_4_BRG_F-Type

Post by Looking_4_BRG_F-Type »

Thanks guys. I agree I am pleasantly surprised how tidy it's looking under there. Mind you after I asked for a photo they probably panicked and gave it a good tidy up.......or if I'm being cynical took a picture of another car :roll: :lol:
V6 (340) - Coupe - British Racing Green
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

That cross brace definitely looks like it has already been rust treated and repainted. Looks good underneath.
The exhausts have small drain holes to allow any moisture out. That's where the black soot marks are from.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Not wishing to dishearten you ahead of purchase, but on close inspection of the photo that looks like a pretty shoddy cover up to me ... shame they didn’t think to mask or cover up the rest of the underside as I see overspray to the floor pan, exhaust and other components.

I suspect that is little more than a quick rattle can spray to address your request, just as a valater would do or freshen up the wheel arch linings before putting the car on the forecourt for sale. For peace of mind I would plan to do it again when you get the car home if you’re really concerned about it ...

On a positive note the rest looks to be as you expect and pretty clean for the mileage ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Kdes

Post by Kdes »

Can the cross race be removed and easily reattached or is it under tension? Would be easier to deal with it off the car.
Storm Grey V6 coupe 2016MY

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post