Rusty rear cross brace

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Arne

Post by Arne »

Mine looks not too good either on certain Places (not as bad as the pics above though), even though I do not use it in winter conditions (salty roads). So I have just had a talk with a friend of mine that runs a bodyshop/workshop and has specialiced in anti-rust/corrosion treatment.
He said that he could treat all affected areas with a special primer that will react to and stop the rust that has allready occured (since the rust does not go deep on an "almost new" car, so no sandblasting is needed). Then he will spray all appropriate areas with another "stuff" (and not Mercasol which they usually use for the "everyday use car") that gives a thin and almost transparent layer that looks a lot better than the Mercasol - and has almost as good protective properties. It should be more than good enough on a car that is not used on gravel roads and in winter time.
As soon as our roads are dry and clean from salt, I will take the car to his workshop and have it done.
It will give some more "peace in mind", as this car is a keeper for me Smile
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8

Arne

Post by Arne »

The weather has been good and dry for the last week (but pretty cold), so I will deliver the car tomorrow to have the treatment done (see post above).

Hopefully it will start, as it has been in winter hibernation for almost 5 months Looking forward to get behind the wheel again
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Started mine up last Saturday for the first time this year. Fired up a the first touch of the button Big smile
However, i'm not taking the car out on the road for a another week or so due to all the salt and mud around here.
First proper run out will be either to the Jaguar Breakfast Club meeting at the beginning of April or up to the trimmers for an upgrade to the leather trim. It's time for some premium Nappa in the cockpit Cool
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
Arne

Post by Arne »

It started up right away. Dry roads so now it is delivered for treatment. Picking it up on Friday.

Hope the weather will stay ok, but some snow is expected for tomorrow...
Arne

Post by Arne »

Got a call from the workshop, and they told me that the car was ready for pick up. He also told me that it looked immaculate underneath, with no signs of corrotion. What I had thought was corrotion was only gritt, dirt and spots of asphalt Smile
So now it has an extra protective coating that should last for many years, and I will take it in for control every second or third year - just to be shure.
He also said it was the best looking car they had ever worked on there Wink
m_101

Post by m_101 »

Arne what coating did you get for yours?
Someone I know recommended waxoyl apparently they use it in the states. I've used ACF-50 before on the bike but it doesn't last that long and needs topping up every so often.
Thanks
16MY V8R, Ammonite Grey with full red leather interior, carbon roof, 770w stereo, few other bits.
Arne

Post by Arne »

I am sorry but I do not remember what they told me it is called. It's a rather thin stuff that is brownish and semi transluctant (is that the right word? You can see through it after it is applied).

For a "full treatment" it would have also been coated with Mercasol on top of the "thin stuff", but they did not recommend that on my car, as it is not driven in winter conditions.

They asked me to come back every third year to do a check and reapply if there are spots where it seems to be needed.

But I was told that it would probably last for 5-10 years, depending on driving distance and conditions.
Arne

Post by Arne »

Some (not so good) pics:

scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

Hi Arne,

Many thanks for posting the pictures. Looks to be a good way of protecting the exposed metal.
Salsa Red V6S Coupe, Performance Heated Seats, Memory Pack, 20" DC Gyrodynes, Heated Windscreen, Blind Spot Detection & CVS, Meridian Audio, Powered Tailgate, Illuminated Tread Plates and Big Smile!
Deleted User 1083

Post by Deleted User 1083 »

Had my 2015 F type serviced yesterday and mentioned the rusty cross brace. Apparently there is a Jaguar tech bulletin on it and they need to order some gunk in to deal with it so rebooked for a months time... in time for winter.
Was given an XF courtesy car for the service. Just couldn’t warm to it. Seems to have lost that Jaguar luxury feeling.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post