2013 F-type brake fluid low

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
antoine

Post by antoine »

Hi all,

I have the 2013 F-type V8 S convertible.

I complained to Jaguar there is a squeaking sound when I press the brakes. I don't break hard and I drive the car mostly in London. the car has around 9000 miles.

Prior to the servicing, Jaguar West London Park Royal told me the brakes squeak because I drive the car in London. They must think I am stupid. Anyways, following the servicing, they called me to say that the break fluid was low and that was the source of the squeaking.

My immediate though it that I had the car serviced last year and since my extended warranty runs ends of April 2018, they would have announced that I need to change the carbon breaks/pads next year. they told me they do not need to be changed now, but I know they will next year right after the warranty ends.

I know I drive casually and I don't feel it's right for a car like this to have this kind of issue at 9000 miles. I read online that the cause would be a leak. I haven't spotted a leak. Also, would the car indicator flash when the fluid is low? has anyone got any thoughts or experience on this?

The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

A bit of brake squeak/squeal isn't uncommon. Especially if the car is sitting around a bit. The discs corrode very quickly if the car isn't used every day. Not a problem in the grand scheme of things but when the brake pads wipe off the surface rust there can be a build up of dust around the calipers and pads which can sometimes help to cause a bit of squeak or other such noise.

If there was a leak in your brake lines I think you would know about it when you put your foot on the brake.
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
antoine

Post by antoine »

Thanks The Jaster! I'll keep that in mind.

I do have a constant squeaking when breaking and it happens with all speeds. Do you know if you an indicator would flash on the dashboard when the fluid is low? Have you had or heard a similar experience with Jaguar servicing?
antoine

Post by antoine »

I meant the jagster ;)
wolfy689

Post by wolfy689 »

You mention the pads are carbon, discs as well? Do you mean carbon ceramic? If so i am shocked they need changing after 9000 miles?
ronniet

Post by ronniet »

fluid will go down slightly as the pads wear, however, sudden or large drops in level would signify a leak somewhere, not all leaks are readily apparent though, dealer should investigate as its a safety issue
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

fluid will go down slightly as the pads wear, however, sudden or large drops in level would signify a leak somewhere, not all leaks are readily apparent though, dealer should investigate as its a safety issue

That's very true. If the pads wear down the fluid level will drop proportionately, but then i'm thinking, surely the fluid level would be kept topped up at each service for that very reason.
antoine

Post by antoine »

Hi wolfy,
I have attached a photo of the breaks

just spoke Jaguar West London over the phone. they are charging me £350 to fix the low break fluid..

ronniet

Post by ronniet »

you wouldnt necessarily top the fluid up between services, if you did, you would have to remove a lot when you next fitted new pads. As long as it doesnt go below the minimum level all should be good, better to leave low than try and remove a fluid that will strip the paint on the car
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

£350 ???!!! Doesn't sound right to me. Something significant needs to be fixed or replaced for that kind of money.

I'm guessing new brake pads??

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post