2013 F-type brake fluid low

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

£350 for brake fluid??? They are having a laugh.

Low brake fluid doesn't affect your current braking - it's a reservoir of 'spare' fluid in case of small leak or compression of the fluid.

If they are testing the system, stripping it down, replacing crush washers and seals, new fluid and inspecting the callipers and seals maybe, but brake fluid on it own? Nope.

Aren't the carbon brake callipers yellow? Red are usually steel brakes and pads on the F-Type.

Plus 9000 miles for brake pads? Thats not much.

2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.

antoine

Post by antoine »

£350 is the cost of 2hr labor and break fluid fix. I will pick up the car on Monday.I will let you know what happened exactly and how to prevent it, if possible Confused
77webbo

Post by 77webbo »

Carbon ceramics weren't an option until 2015
m_101

Post by m_101 »

Antoine your dealers are ripping you off. Those are not carbon ceramic brakes, they are the performance braking system found on the V8 F-types as standard. Pads should not be that expensive. My advice would be to phone the dealers today and ask how exactly the pads are that worn. I've done 14500 miles on my current pads and there is still about 5mm of pad depth left. They are exactly the same pads.
Also brake squealing can happen if the pads are incorrectly aligned ie not in the same alignment as the discs when they were installed.
I would refuse to pay, take this up with Jag CRC, and never use that dealer again. But that's just me!

m_1012017-04-02 19:21:18
16MY V8R, Ammonite Grey with full red leather interior, carbon roof, 770w stereo, few other bits.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

ronniet wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:48 pm you wouldnt necessarily top the fluid up between services, if you did, you would have to remove a lot when you next fitted new pads. As long as it doesnt go below the minimum level all should be good, better to leave low than try and remove a fluid that will strip the paint on the car
Yes - this is right. You should not normally top up brake fluid. The idea in general is that when you put new pads in the level will be at the top. When fully worn close to low as more fluid is in the slave cylinders. Foolishly garage fill it up during services and at new pad time it has to be removed.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I realise this an old post but I had a Porsche with carbon ceramic brakes. The discs last over 100,000 miles but pads need to be replaced regularly. Also, if you only use gentle braking they will squeal most of the time. Occasionally you need to brake hard to remove a sort of glaze that builds up and then you’ll be fine for a bit
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I can't see how this in brake fluid related. Squealing brakes is usually the pads binding on the discs slightly. A bit of a clean to remove any build up of dust/dirt from the calipers/pins and the application of brake grease (coppaslip) to both the pins and back of the pads will deal with most cases. Maybe the pads have worn prematurely because the pins are corroded or gummed up and the dealer has cleaned everything and replaced the pads. Unusual to have calipers on both sides binding that much though.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
chicb

Post by chicb »

If breaking gently, the pads sometimes glaze over which causes squeaks. Take it out for a run & do a few emergency stops. That should de-glaze them. £350 is not topping up the fluid. ask them what they are doing for this. I know London is expensive but not that expensive
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
chicb

Post by chicb »

Didn't realise this was a year old post :shock:
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S

• You may also be interested in...