My invisimod ...

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

So today I completed a minor mod that to the untrained eye would nt be visible ... I installed a protective film to the black 'kick' plates and to the door and hat h plates. For both I used the Fablon vinyl. I applied the matt black to the kick plates and a clear to the alloy plates.

All parts were first cleaned and then degreased using meths to ensure a clean surface for the vinyl to stick too. Once clean, the surfaces were gently heated with a warm air gun which was also used to help form the vinyl over the parts to give an OEM look.

a couple of photos ...

fablon.JPG

full door trim.JPG

hatch trim.JPG

Time taken was around 90 minutes, total cost less than a tenner to protect what I'm sure would be expensive parts to replace.

regards, Paul
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!

TopCat

Post by TopCat »

Interesting. How did it cope with the letters on the tread plate, did it follow the shape or is it taut across the impressed letters?
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

The application of heat and pressure over the letters has given a really good adhesion leaving very few non-connected areas.

The black was far simpler and it is hard to tell its not OEM
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
benji-m

Post by benji-m »

Nice work, might give this a go myself, although may be too late for mine...

Didn't fancy the zebra print like on the packaging then? :lol:
2015 Coupe V6S, Glacier White, Black Design Pack, 20" Gyrodyne's, Carbon Mirrors, Pan roof, Performance Seats, Switchable Exhaust + few custom additions.
PussCat

Post by PussCat »

Hey Senninha, did your Fablon film protection last well (at least until you sold the car)?

My kick plates still have the original polythene sheeting on them - and at over 2 years, it is looking a bit tatty now.

Thinking about using your fix.
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Hi PussCat,

Yes it did ... both the black over the plastic kick plate and the clear over the Jaguar plate were completely intact when I sold. The buyer didn’t even notice until pointed out ...

The key is to ensure the surface is completely grease free, warm the surface (ideally a heat gun but a hair drying will suffice) then apply the fabric covering tightly, trim and then relax knowing the OEM parts are being protected

Regards & good luck
PussCat

Post by PussCat »

Thanks. I trusted you'd spot the old thread resurrection. I shall order some Fablon (other 'sticky backed plastics' are available).
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

I just never took the factory film off.. :mrgreen:
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|