New car - what protection?

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

Hi All,

I picked up my brand new V6 Coupé yesterday, and having driven a whole 12 miles, would like to get a few opinions on what I should do with the paintwork.

I've only got the car for a year, but want to keep the car looking as good as I possibly can. Of course, the trade off is price of protection vs years of ownership - if I was keeping the car for years, I'd go for PPF..

Now it seems I've got a few options, and would love some opinions on what to do - driving in winter will be limited as I'll be in my Land Rover for the winter months, so no risk from gritters but not no risk at all. But the way I see it is the following:

1. Do nothing
2. Take up the dealers offer of Williams F1 ceramic coating for £400 (but would insist on a machine polish first, as I can see a few swirls already)
3. A cheaper ceramic coating, carried out by a detailer - around £400
4. Full gtechniq ceramic coating & machine polish - £750-ish.
5. PPF - way too much money, even just for half bonnet, sills and bumper - £1200.

I'm really unsure what I should be doing, obviously I don't want to spend the earth after just about scraping the cash together to buy one of these lovely cars, but at the same time don't want it ruined in a few journeys as I've heard the paint is quite soft on a Jag.

Thoughts?

Thank you all in advance,

Chris

image5.JPG

20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover

dezzy

Post by dezzy »

Car is looking good Chris! I would highly recommend gtechniq. You can do some of their coatings yourself or go with a professional for Crystal Serum.
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

hello .. but if you have the car only for a year (why is that) why bother doing anything at all ? .. does make me wonder

so for me option 1 - do nothing
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

You should be OK for a year, particularly as you're avoiding the worst of the winter. Mine's 2 years old and after 17k miles on motorways and fast A roads it only has a couple of very tiny chips across the front and one on the side. The most vulnerable area is the sill/panel between the door and the rear wheel arch. Whilst there's a small patch of ppf there already, it could really do with extending upwards to cover the whole area. I have a slight gravel rash down there on the drivers side now, probably as a result of getting caught in miles of the dreaded stone chippings a few times this year. For me, a dollup of Bilt Hamber Speed Wax throws anything off the paint pretty well and keeps it shiny. If I was having a ceramic coating it would be Gtechiq chrystal serum from a detailer rather than the dealer.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Hi Chris,

It looks stunning ... mines 2 yrs old and 8k miles ... front end has a couple of chips, and as above, the area ahead of the rear wheel arch ... if only keeping a yr then I'd settle for a detailer applied ceramic coating and correction ... although I would consider PPF for the sills especially if they use a white/grey primer rather than red ...

Whatever you opt for, make the most of your time and get smiles of motoring under your belt!!

Rgds, Paul
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Deleted User 1088

hang on .... why only own for one year ..

not being rude but really curious that's all
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

I believe he explains why in the other thread ... related to the employee deal I believe ....
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
wanner69

Post by wanner69 »

I would by a wax, ceramic infused like Angelwax enigma, big pot of 250ml that will last years. Very easy to apply and remove with great looks and durability. Take you 30 mins every 3 months or so to wax and after your washes just top up with a QD.
V6S convertible, Glacier white, Black pack, 20" Tornado's, parking pack, Performance heated seats,
Tel

Post by Tel »

Keeping it for just one year...then I would save my money for a detail at the end of that period.

Only PPF will protect you form the gravel rash and other peoples stones that get thrown at you.

Coatings of any description will only help with very light superficial marks that can be removed with light hand polishing with say a fine compound like Megs ScratchX.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Deleted User 1088

Senninha wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:29 pm I believe he explains why in the other thread ... related to the employee deal I believe ....
arr .. ok, thanks for the info :)