Scratched windscreen by wiper blades

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
e46mjl

Post by e46mjl »

Well, I finally got my f type on Monday and am completely made up with the car. However, it wasn’t long before it started to rain and so the clean car was no more.

Anyway, today, on my way in to work on a Sunny day I have noticed two scratches on the windscreen. One the full arc of the wiper on the passenger side and a smaller scratch on the drivers side, just in line of sight.

I’ve checked the report on the car and the wipers came up as advisory at its last MOT. So I have emailed the dealer tonight to vent my annoyance and to point out that this could have contributed to the issue.

In the meantime, whilst I see if the dealer offers some help, are there any solutions to resolve the scratched windscreen ?! When I drag my finger over the windscreen my nail catches in the one which is in the drivers line of sight.

I look forward to hearing any suggestions to resolve the issue.

Thanks

Mark

WR1

Post by WR1 »

Unfortunately there isn't very much you can do with a wiper mark to a windscreen.
To eliminate the scratch you must polish the surrounding glass (approx 10-20mm wide) to the depth of the scratch .
This ultimately ends in distortion to the screen , can very uncomfortable too see through particularly at night with headlights coming towards you.

Geoff
probbins2000

Post by probbins2000 »

I just had a stone fly up and crack mine, fortunately I had wind screen cover so just the £95 excess. Autoglass replaced mine but its not a screen they hold in stock so they had to order from Pilkington's who manufacture for Jaguar Land Rover, this took about a week. Its the same screen but does not have the Jaguar Leaper logo. If I wanted the leaper on it I would have to go to jaguar and get them to fix it who ironically use Autoglass, This would have been a lot more ££££. I asked jaguar what the cost would be and they gave me a ball park value at £750 screen and £250 fitting. Same manufacture but just the logo extra. Jaguar did say that the warranty would not be effected as long as it was a Pilkington screen and fitted by Autoglass and not a patten part.
V6 Coupe British Racing Green
ftype88

Post by ftype88 »

probbins2000 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:53 am I just had a stone fly up and crack mine, fortunately I had wind screen cover so just the £95 excess. Autoglass replaced mine but its not a screen they hold in stock so they had to order from Pilkington's who manufacture for Jaguar Land Rover, this took about a week.
Does this effect your overall insurance no claims or is it a separate product? mine got chipped recently it was very upsetting! Never had this issue before but I checked and do have windscreen cover with a similar excess.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

ftype88 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:23 pm Does this effect your overall insurance no claims or is it a separate product? mine got chipped recently it was very upsetting! Never had this issue before but I checked and do have windscreen cover with a similar excess.
Normally the windscreen cover doesn't count as a claim for no-claims bonus purposes.
But you need to check your policy and check the fine print.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

ftype88 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:23 pm
probbins2000 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:53 am I just had a stone fly up and crack mine, fortunately I had wind screen cover so just the £95 excess. Autoglass replaced mine but its not a screen they hold in stock so they had to order from Pilkington's who manufacture for Jaguar Land Rover, this took about a week.
Does this effect your overall insurance no claims or is it a separate product? mine got chipped recently it was very upsetting! Never had this issue before but I checked and do have windscreen cover with a similar excess.
If it’s chipped as opposed to cracked it can probably be repaired but should arrange ASAP as cold weather can cause the chip to extend to a crack.
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post