Great 7 months, bed time!

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Tel

Post by Tel »

Nice car cover Fez...

Our doesn't rest up, until the temperature falls and well before the salters get out on the road.

We have had our F-Type now for 3 years, and I frequently am out of the UK for all of the year.
I have followed various protocols for storing the car, pumping this tyres to 50 psi, filling this, ensuring this is sorted etc etc; pretty much a waste of time.

I have fallen back on the following protocol with good results. I do have a carpeted, dry bed for our cat to stay on!

• Leave no more than a quarter of a tank of juice in the car - Modern petrols go off really quickly. No condensation noted in the filler tube or cap doing this
  • Clean the car thoroughly inside and out and wax - Common sense when stretching a cover over the paintwork
  • Connect CTEK
If it's dry and sunny and no salt down, start it up and go for a blast of no less than 10 minutes, run the AC to keep the seals 'wetted' and dry the interior of any moisture.
Mechanically - It's better to exercise the car when you can, than to leave it completely.

and thats it...simple.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩

scm

Post by scm »

Tel wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:45 am Modern petrols go off really quickly.
Really? My "backup" car, an Almera which I kept when I got my first Jag in 2007, sits unused on my drive from one year to the next with hardly any attention apart from firing it up for half an hour every couple of weeks and using a CTEK to maintain the battery. It rarely does more than 50 miles a year, Jaguars are so reliable(!) and I often go nearly two years between fill-ups. Not noticed any problems with the fuel at all.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

It would be nice to get a definitive answer on the ‘fuel in storage’ questions as it varies between Tel’s proposal to brimming the car to avoid condensation ...

I’ve been storing my weekender each year during the worst months of the winter and have simply put it away with whatever fuel is left. Like Tel, I try to take it out for a good dry drive when the time / weather permit and will simply add fuel as needed.

I concur with the pre-clean and dry process. I also leave the drivers window slightly dropped to allow air flow whilst under the cover to further prevent any internal trim issues. As for tyres, they are checked along with lights and levels before every drive (ex-biker) and I’ve had no issues ...

HTH
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

According to BP:

Petrol - Petrol is a mixture of many components with different properties that contribute to the performance of the fuel. When petrol is kept in an open container where it is exposed to the air, it will - in time - completely evaporate. As it evaporates, the composition and properties will change because different components evaporate at different rates. This is a normal feature of petrol and helps describe the process which takes place when it is stored in equipment fuel tanks.

Petrol in sealed containers - The storage life of petrol is one year when stored under shelter in a sealed container. Once a seal is broken the fuel has a storage life of six months at 20°C or three months at 30°C.

Petrol in equipment tanks - The storage life of petrol in equipment fuel tanks is one month. This can be extended by topping up with one third of fresh fuel, which restores the volatile components that have evaporated. Topping up with fresh fuel will help, however it is not a foolproof strategy for engines that are used only intermittently.

The following principles may also help:
- Keep the tank half full to stop water vapour from being sucked in and condensing.
- Consider using a fuel that contains anti-oxidants, metal deactivators and corrosion inhibitors to protect metal surfaces such as BP Ultimate.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Fez

Post by Fez »

Good evening to all, thank you for the tips on storage. The cat will only be asleep for a maximum of five months so content I have taken the necessary precautions. Check out the dynax s50 on the rear cross member should keep rust away.

20180916_161049.jpg

20180916_160959.jpg

Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

The underside looks superb. My next years project.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

I did once leave another car with windows slightly down to get some air circulation and when I came back after 6 months the interior was mouldy. That was though, in central Devon where the winter weather is extremely damp! So for me it's fully closed and silica gel containers.
Red soft top
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Are the cross members easy to unbolt?
Red soft top
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Fez

Post by Fez »

I placed it on ramps then careful sprayed round all the parts with dynax s50. Use thin lance to insert inside rear cross beam and the struts that are open up by back box.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Tel

Post by Tel »

simpleR wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:31 pm According to BP:

Petrol in equipment tanks - The storage life of petrol in equipment fuel tanks is one month. This can be extended by topping up with one third of fresh fuel, which restores the volatile components that have evaporated. Topping up with fresh fuel will help, however it is not a foolproof strategy for engines that are used only intermittently.

The following principles may also help:
- Keep the tank half full to stop water vapour from being sucked in and condensing.
- Consider using a fuel that contains anti-oxidants, metal deactivators and corrosion inhibitors to protect metal surfaces such as BP Ultimate.
That's what I do, hence only leaving no more than 1/4 tank if I can. Interestingly though...I have a feeling that the F-Type tank is near as damn it sealed...i.e I believe it has to reach quite a positive pressure before venting to atmosphere is allowed.

You can hear this effect when you stop at the fuel pump and remove the cap as all the positive pressure is released, or maybe that's a huge vacuum where I have just used it up at a rapid pace :-)

@Fez - What ramps do you have there?
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's