New to clay bars

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Hello

I've never used a clay bar before.. the videos online make it seem easy to use but I'm terrified of scratching the paint..

Is it really that safe? Anyone had any bad experiences? Or is it really as easy as wash, lubricate, gently rub the clay bar and wipe dry!?
MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

I've not had a bad experience - I think if you take normal precautions you'll find it just fine.

I actually use a Halfords clay mitt - just oscillate gently back and forth - not in circles - and with a fairly light pressure.

Good for getting the windscreen clean too.

Once it's done its job it's remarkable how you feel the slipperiness and move on to find the next contaminant - quite therapeutic!
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Lunar wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:38 am Once it's done its job it's remarkable how you feel the slipperiness and move on to find the next contaminant - quite therapeutic!
Come on - fess up!
Just an excuse to fondle your EFF !
:lol:
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Ahem :D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Fez

Post by Fez »

I use bilt hamber soft clay, it is as easy as the videos show. Just make sure the car is clean before you start. Be gentle let the clay do the work. You should only need to do it once a year so depends a lot on where car is parked.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I use it regularly and have done for years
Key is to have the car really clean as mentioned above. Remember a piece of grit converts it to sandpaper..
Lubricate it well with spray to stop it dragging. Too dry and it leaves clay that is then hard to remove. Even tap water in an old hand pump Windolene type bottle is enough
Turn and fold the clay to keep clean surface
Of course if you drop it bin it, don’t try to rescue it

As above you may find the cloths easier and more convenient. Try one - I use a 20cm flat cloth

As always clay is part of a proper process of clean, clay, polish, seal & wax )or whatever routine you choose), so I tend to do a panel at a time if I’m short of time.

Enjoy it’s therapeutic
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Tel

Post by Tel »

Baby shampoo diluted in clean ex-kettle water...it's wonderful with a clay bar.

It's very enjoyable (if you've got no friends ;-)) and I agree therapeutic.
The Halrauds glove is an excellent introduction before you get into the 'hard stuff'
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Leave the clay bar / clay cloth etc in very warm water for 10 mins before starting on the car and then put it back in and warm it back up every now and then - far easier then too.

I'm using the baby shampoo tip Tel - that will be useful in the spring :)
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
scm

Post by scm »

Tel wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:53 am Baby shampoo diluted in clean ex-kettle water...
Why ex-kettle? Surely any contaminants that haven't evaporated away will just be more concentrated?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

scm wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:04 am
Tel wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:53 am Baby shampoo diluted in clean ex-kettle water...
Why ex-kettle? Surely any contaminants that haven't evaporated away will just be more concentrated?
There's no contaminants in tap water that will interfere with clay work.

If you live in a hard water area as we do, then minerals are your enemy...just try using tap water to wash your car and leave it in the sun to dry for example...rock hard deposits are left on the paintwork as the water evaporates. Vinegar is the only thing to take them away.

If you boil a kettle, most of the minerals deposit themselves onto the interior and thus, removing most of the magnesium and calcium.

The steam of course is the purest, if you have a condensor that is!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩