Ceramic coating advice?

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Gom Jabbar

Post by Gom Jabbar »

Thanks for the advice - I’m in the Northwest so off to see Cheshire Car Care in Knutsford tomorrow who seem to have a good reputation. Anyone have experience of them?
2018 F-Type SVR in Caldera Red with a huge amount of toys yet to be explored!

Senninha

Post by Senninha »

You’re welcome, hope CCC look after you ... you could also check out them and others on Detailing World website ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
andrewclarke99

Post by andrewclarke99 »

Gom Jabbar let me know how you get on in Knutsford. I am seriously considering getting my 400 Sport done......when it arrives
400 Sport AWD, Yulong White and lots n lots of Extras
daveyc86

Post by daveyc86 »

I have a Kamikaze ceramic coat - makes keeping the clean a doddle. Happy to recommend my detailer if you're keen. Divine Detail in Surrey.
Gom Jabbar

Post by Gom Jabbar »

Hi Andrew

Yes - will let you know. I met the guy yesterday and he seems very good & genuinely passionate about cars & how to look after them. He has many “millionaire” clients in South Cheshire doing all kinds of exotic brands. I hope to have it done over the next 3-4 weeks.

Steve
2018 F-Type SVR in Caldera Red with a huge amount of toys yet to be explored!
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Well everyone is putting in there six peneth but no one has mentioned how much it costs. Watched a detailed revue from a millionaire classic car dealer on youtube & his take was no. A good wax coating be it more regular looks just as good. He also noted that people think that ceramic coating makes the car stonechip proof which he said was also not true. He also stated that to remove for a recoat is quite a detailed job & very expensive. My new 2017 to me car has a shine like sn-t on a garden wall, so all I will do is apply a very good wax. Each to there own I guess.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
Gasman2

Post by Gasman2 »

I had a freshly painted c63 done and tbh unless u are mega carefull with aftercare u will still get swirling etc and certain coatings can only be wet sanded off
You will still get chips and scratches
Tbh i am in the regular wax camp now as it really is just as good
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

As pointed out above, ceramic coating wont prevent stone chips any better than a good wax. For this you will need a PPF.

The dilemma for me with this is where do you stop chasing the ‘perfect’ finish. My personal view on the PPF is that as a minimum you need a paint correction machine polish; no point trapping swirls etc under the film. For a truly reflective finish, ‘it looks like glass” look, you’re then needing a wet sand and machine polish. So now your paint is as fault free as can be, so to protect this investment in shine, you now apply your chosen PPF (of which there are now several brands). I’ve seen 3 different options and all of them, no matter how professionally applied, do not offer the “as glass” you perhaps chasing as they all leave what can best be described as factory orange peel.

All will make their own choice. On my wife’s white Tiguan I had detail and ceramic done. Car looked great on collection. Remained easier to keep clean over a couple of years but I did top up the shine with G3 wax twice a year. My black daily driver has just been carefully washed and regularly polished and looks great.

steviegtr, to your valid point on costs, my experiences are:

Paint correction detail / std wax @£300
Add ceramic @£150-200
Wet sand will depend on car size, average £2500
PPF for front end £1600, usuall include bumper, bonnet, sills and mirror backs
Full PPF from £3k

I would add that for a keeper or something very special, I can see the merits in a full PPF as not only will it stop chips, the newer self healing variety effectively remove swirls from washing whilst sitting in the sun ... happy days :)

HTH ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Ricardo99

Post by Ricardo99 »

I'm planning on going 1st for an allover Gtechniq Cristal Utra coating followed by PPF on the front bumpers & grill (maybe sills too).

Works out at about £1120 total because Gtechnqi insist on an all-over level 1 polish first, even when your driving you car strait from the dealership!

Otherwise would be £300 cheaper.
scm

Post by scm »

Ricardo99 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:47 pmGtechnqi insist on an all-over level 1 polish first, even when your driving you car strait from the dealership!
Makes sense, the dealership has probably already washed it and put loads of swirls on it. :?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post