Lifting dust...

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Tel

Post by Tel »

So, after a days 'out and about' in the F, it's time for a spruce up before putting her to bed.

I loathe removing the dust, brake or otherwise, prior to layering another load of polish.

On my family battle wagon I used a cotton wand/brush from Halfords that I impregnated with a clear wax/paraffin solution that worked well, however there is no way I would get it within spitting distance of the F.

I recently purchased a micro fibre duster http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibre-cloths/microfibre-accessories/eurow-microfibre-car-duster/prod_882.html which seems to work well once damp with a QD spray, but of course, anything you contact with your paint scratches to some degree.

I wonder if anyone else follows a dry wash regime and if you use a dust lifter, what type you have.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird »

Far too picky to dry wash. I'll carefully put a soft cotton cloth over the upper surfaces if I am away for more than a few days (car is in a garage).

Otherwise it is snow foam and wash once a week.

(we really need a detailing section to this forum ... mods?)
(edit : we already have one .. daft bugger that I am)

Bluebird2014-09-25 09:44:43
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Isn't washing it every week a bad thing?

I mean that in the most curious way possible.
As my delivery date gets closer, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about which products to use to keep her shiny and cared for ;)
MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I use my air compressor and blow the dust off outside and then have an indoor cover for the garage which I wash in the machine from time to time. Works well enough.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
Joemax

Post by Joemax »

Personally I don't think fine scratching from surface dirt is unavoidable, its going to happen regardless but one can reduce the amount of scratching and swirls produced by the materials and methods used when washing. I heard of washing the car with the two water buckets method, which sort of makes sense if the car is very dirty. Haven't don't that though as my F rarely gets dirty, in the garage and never comes out if it rains, sorry guys it doesn't rain that much here in Monza. I have washed the car though lads, think Ive washed it about 10 times since I got it almost a year and a half ago. I did find this mitt which I really like and I believe it does minimise the swirls:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/x3002-microfiber-wash-mitt/
Ok, so Im old fashion and still use the chamois leather to dry the car...is that still the norm or do I have to blow dry the car? Lol. Though I do like Daytona's approach of using the compressor to blow of the excess dust and dirt.

She's Bad, she's Beautiful and she's British V6S 2013
Joemax

Post by Joemax »

...I forgot to mention that you can get the mitts on eBay
She's Bad, she's Beautiful and she's British V6S 2013
Arne

Post by Arne »

A very good way to prevent wash swirls and marks from bird droppings etc, is to give the car a good quality coating.
This is the product that I have used on my F-type:
ps: look in the header on that site, and see what kind of car they have used in the add ;)
I did that last year, so I have not had any long term experience myself on the F-type. However I had the same done to my Touareg and that looked just as good after 2 years as it did when it was applied. Washing the car is also SO much easier.
Another solution is to use Xpel which also protects well against stonechips. It is however a more costly solution.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
ronniet

Post by ronniet »

We use a nennette duster works a treat
Kaelan35

Post by Kaelan35 »

Joemax wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:37 am Personally I don't think fine scratching from surface dirt is unavoidable, its going to happen regardless but one can reduce the amount of scratching and swirls produced by the materials and methods used when washing. I heard of washing the car with the two water buckets method, which sort of makes sense if the car is very dirty. Haven't don't that though as my F rarely gets dirty, in the garage and never comes out if it rains, sorry guys it doesn't rain that much here in Monza. I have washed the car though lads, think Ive washed it about 10 times since I got it almost a year and a half ago. I did find this mitt which I really like and I believe it does minimise the swirls:http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/p ... wash-mitt/ Ok, so Im old fashion and still use the chamois leather to dry the car...is that still the norm or do I have to blow dry the car? Lol. Though I do like Daytona's approach of using the compressor to blow of the excess dust and dirt.
I usually use only Meguiars and Quick products for my Jaguar. Anyway, before purchasing the specific product for cleaning your car, you should wisit the manufacturer website to find car and driver reviews with the most suitable for your car. Only after this procedure you can firmly know that your auto will be safely cleaned.
chicb

Post by chicb »

Have a look at Detailing World website for all answers to detailing cars & products to use. Cant believe some of the methods used on here :shock: . No wonder the cars are full of swirls/scratches. YouTube has hundreds of videos on car cleaning.
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post