Body Wrap - Sills only

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Hello

I have a Caldera red F-Type which is red all over including sills (Carbon pack including roof)

I saw a picture of a sandstone orange F-Type with black sills and thought it looked very good.

Anyone know of what the approx cost would be just to have the sills wrapped in gloss black?

AngieR

Post by AngieR »

I have Ultra Blue with black sills which look great when the car has just been washed, but soon show every mark. Personally, from choice I would go with matching sills.
P300 R Dynamic - 2021
British Racing Green Metallic
Pano Roof
20" Wheels Dark Grey Diamond Turned Finish.
Lots of extras.
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Sometimes black sills can emphasise the ride height depending on car, I’d stick with body coloured but each to their own

Your best calling a wrap company, they’ll give you a rough price over the phone
Tel

Post by Tel »

When you see an F-Type with body coloured sills alongside one with black sills you will notice that the former makes the car look quite 'fat' or 'girthy' in relation to its length, side on.

Our second F came with body coloured sills, and it was just one of the items that had to be blacked out to visually 'narrow' the car.

Interestingly even the chap that designed the F-Type agreed with me on this when I discussed my mods with him standing next to my car.
He hinted that he didn't actually agree with JLR design dept on the body coloured sills, but they added them as change was apparently required in the model range.

The wrap does protect this area as well, which is a bonus.
I have piano black, and exPel ultimate self healing film on top. For the straight piano black I reckon a budget of 3 - 400 pounds. They can be covered in situ, but for a top job, the sills should be removed and then covered. This will add cost as the aluminium tread plates need to come off; they are double sided 3m grip taped on...they end up in tatters when removed.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
M@r]{

Post by M@r]{ »

I've got mine wrapped in a matt carbon look (along with the rear diffuser and front splitter area. I think the contrast works really well (see below)

IMG_0064.jpg

=========================
MY2019 Mclaren 720s Performance
MY2006 Lotus Exige "GT3"
MY2008 Westfield Megablade Track Car
MY2012 VW Camper (the family getaway / track car tow vehicle)
MY2013 Range Rover Evoque (the missus car)
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Carbon wrap looks great Mark.

Mine has gloss black sills as part of the black pack - see below.

20181008_132406_20181008_132406.jpg

MY 2018 red convertible 380 R dynamic, black pack, red seatbelts, heated flat bottomed steering wheel, rear camera and front park aids, 20’ wheels
BlackTypeR

Post by BlackTypeR »

@ Backofthenet

I recon the cost will be around 200gbp +/- 100gbp

where are you based? I can recommend dub customs in basildon, they have wrapped a few bits on my ftype. however i don't think it's an overly complicated car part to wrap, so probably worth checking a few places near you and also get a feeling of what it will approx cost
Black F Type R AWD 2015
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3764
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

The body coloured sills or black sills has always been a divisive area since the body coloured sills were introduced.

Everyone has their own opinion and I remember posting a topic on everyone's thoughts as I was looking for an F-Type R AWD at the time. Having seen pics of the F-Type R with and without the body coloured sills, I thought that the body coloured sills made the car look much more aggressive. I thought they suited the V8 F-Types really well because they're all about the aggression.

I purchased the R AWD and feel like I've made the right decision because it gives the car a really aggressive look and made it look really low. I want it to look like it means business and it certainly does! I don't think the body coloured sills really suit the V6 cars because the V6 is not about aggression at all.

So, I think the body coloured sills or black sills depends on the model!

Image Looks 100 times more aggressive than...

Image Way more aggressive than...
scm

Post by scm »

I agree!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
vika01

Post by vika01 »

I agree. I really wanted a V8 with the design pack + black pack.

8FBCC6DD-69C1-4393-B11A-5E3A205442C7.jpeg

2016 F-type R AWD coupe. Italian Racing Red.
2012 XJ 3.0 diesel. Polaris White.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post