PPF Price?

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Tel

Post by Tel »

Lunar wrote: ↑Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:33 am Well PPF isn't without its own potential issues over time so after 5 years of the car being peppered I took the other option and recently had the nose cone fully taken apart and resprayed.
Can you elaborate on the potential issues?
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more πŸ’©

Tel

Post by Tel »

Robcat1978 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:13 pm
Cost will depend on condition of existing paintwork (ie swirl marks etc) whether a correction detail is required beforehand. Surprising what the bright lights show up!!

I would recommend PPF
Rectification and correction adds to the cost, but main cost is dependent on the quality of install, man hours to fit and the type of PPF used, whether off the shelf templates are used or if you go for your own custom installation.

There are PPF installers and PPF installers, you pay your money and make your choice and generally speaking, you get what you pay for.
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more πŸ’©
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Tel wrote: ↑Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:24 pm
Lunar wrote: ↑Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:33 am Well PPF isn't without its own potential issues over time so after 5 years of the car being peppered I took the other option and recently had the nose cone fully taken apart and resprayed.
Well if you get a sharp stone hit that pierces the PPF it makes the edge show and mending it tends to be replacing the complete PPF section.
And if you have a small section that doesn't have a wrap-around edge, such as a patch at the rear of the sills, then over time the edge tends to get a bit worn and hard to keep reasonably invisibly clean.

Each to their own though - no right or wrong way to go about it.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I had PPF on a previous white car and after 3 years it had turned a slight yellow colour which looked terrible. Had to pay again to get it removed.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Lunar wrote: ↑Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:10 pm
Tel wrote: ↑Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:24 pm
Well if you get a sharp stone hit that pierces the PPF it makes the edge show and mending it tends to be replacing the complete PPF section.
And if you have a small section that doesn't have a wrap-around edge, such as a patch at the rear of the sills, then over time the edge tends to get a bit worn and hard to keep reasonably invisibly clean.

Each to their own though - no right or wrong way to go about it.
That depends on the type of film; a quality healing film can be rectified to a high degree, so much so that a pierce wound is almost unnoticeable.
Over time, water can penetrate and make the film go cloudy, however if a pierce is picked up early it can be dealt with.
A non healing film can be rectified to a degree. It's just a little less maleable to work with, but certainly does not warrant a panel replace unless its not been rectified early.

Patches at the rear usually a small section added on at factory are not very high quality. They get pierced and the edges get filled up with accumulation of waxes/products and tend to yellow quickly as do many low quality films.

Generally speaking, the best protection is offered by the less optically pleasing films, i.e they look a bit orange peely; this is caused by the sheer thickness of the laminates that make the film strong. Optically mirror finish films are thinner and offer less protection... But I digress πŸ˜‰

It's all down to budget...

FWIW... I have a wee bit of experience in this field, having used many films about 15 years before they were in the public domain, protecting edges made from CF on formula x race cars.
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more πŸ’©
Blakums

Post by Blakums »

I agree with comments above. I think the best quality self healing ppf, fitted properly by well trained staff, should not suffer from any of the issues raised.
As Tel says above, you pay for what you get.
I’ve paid nearly Β£3500 to have my entire front end, around windscreen, lower doors and some of the rear done and covered with Gtechniq Halo. This is being done by Topaz in Bristol. You only have to look at the cars in their state of the art premises to see they are trusted by people with very exotic cars. The interior has also been protected with Gtechniq, given I have a Spider.
I’ve had 2 F Types and both were susceptible to stone chips. I now have a rare and expensive colour so ppf is a no brainer.
All the best and good luck, Ian
Currently a McLaren 600LT Spider
Previously a Mc 570S Spider and an Ultra Blue SVR MY 19.5 with lots of goodies!
Er indoors has an MY21 Firenze red EPace HSE
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Rather like a respray then - you can get it done cheaply, or properly.

Re. my comments on ppf, this is just what I have been advised by those with experience.

My experience with film is splicing together standard 8 cine film! I still remember the label on the bottle of cellulose melting glue warning of the danger of explosion when you removed the top - nice! 😬
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post