Paintwork peeling,help please?

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Gtr_matt

Post by Gtr_matt »

Hey guys,a week ago I bought a 17 plate F type V6 AWD. The car is just under 3 years old,gave the car the first wash and the front bumper started peeling and now has 2 inches showing primer. This has never happened to me before on any car I've owned before. Is this a common thing? Would the paintwork warranty apply to this? I've just spoken to jaguar,waiting for a phone call back from service.

Ive attached some pictures,I hope they attach to the post.

IMG_20200315_162703__01.jpg

IMG_20200315_162648.jpg

IMG_20200315_162640.jpg

Thanks
Matt.

daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Thats incredibly rare.

Has it had a front bumper respray? I'd certainly be chasing the dealer if you bought it from one.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
Gtr_matt

Post by Gtr_matt »

I've not been informed of a front bumper respray,I bought it privately. Is jaguar paintwork known to be pretty good then?
scm

Post by scm »

It doesn't have a reputation for peeling like that, in my experience.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Looks like a poor repair, the bonnet edge looks poor too but it may just be a reflection. If you bought privately and it’s been repaired you won’t get any help form Jaguar I’m afraid. Hopefully it’s a factory fault but I’ve not seen factory paint like that. You sure you didn’t wash it with Nitromors :)
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Never seen or heard of that happening on any Jaguar. As others have suggested, that’s a poor smart repair of sorts.

A good body shop would respray the whole front nose for £400ish. Jaguar, quite fairly & in the nicest possible way, will not want to know.
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
Tel

Post by Tel »

Contrary to what you may read, yes this has occurred before at least on one occasion, quite early on in the Series I range.

There seemed to be an issue with getting the bond to etch correctly if memory serves me right. Quite large swathes of paint came adrift from the lower area around the sharks grill on the 'curvy bit' that leads round into the front arch.

It reminds me if the kind of damage I've seen when an over zealous use of a HP washer has been used.

Nothing looks like it's been damage repaired from your photos, gaps look reasonable, normal mis-match in xalic paint between the plastic and the metal bonnet. Difficult to ascertain without seeing it personally.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

It looks like a pressure wash has got under the paint and lifted it.......there may have been a stone chip or small scratch there beforehand without you noticing? Even so, it wouldn't have happened if the top coat was bonded correctly.

Take it back to where you bought it from for rectification.

Also, Jaguar has a 3 year paint surface warranty and if your car is just outside of this you could try the 'goodwill' route.

https://www.jaguar.com/owners_internati ... ranty.html
Last edited by RPSN on Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Notice there are 2 parallel lines across the other section upper left in last picture leading directly towards the damage, like something has been dragged across causing the damage.

Not sure but Is that Bonnet gap just a little large? meaning it's been off, and If it's peeling could be a respray as doesn't look like the paint is bonded, I saw quite a few with reworked fronts when I was looking at dealers!
Last edited by Philskill on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

How exactly did you wash it?
As mentioned above it looks like jet washer damage. I struggle to see how that odd pattern and missing piece would just fall off under normal washing

Aside this without knowing if you purchased dealer, trader or private it's hard to be clear what to suggest. If it were me I'd go to a bodyshop and ask an opinion on cause and cost to repair. They will be able to test the paint depth to see if it's factory or repaired, so at least you know. From there back to seller unless private
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post