Low level scrapeing

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
PaulWildsmith

Post by PaulWildsmith »

Twice now, have just touched the bottom plastic bit under the spiltter. (Not sure what this is called, deflector?). It's not too obvious so not especially worried, but need to be much more careful! Wondering about a stick on rubber strip to give any touching a bit more resilience. Comments or other suggestions welcome.

20200520_133839.jpg

Paul

Sorry picture is upside down, can't quite work it out ..
Married to a F Type owner (P300 2021 model)

dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Hi Paul,
nothing to worry about - the scuff plate is exactly that and helps to shield the painted bumper
Easily replaced if its starts to fray / look ugly, from memory its 3 separate parts and £70 from main dealer
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Yes it's a central and two side pieces and a few fixings - probably save half the cost by swapping it out yourself compared to main dealer hourly rates.

Of the two exits to our office car park I have to "tack" across one or it scrapes - and the sound is not nice, being hard plastic, but is nothing of concern really.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
PaulWildsmith

Post by PaulWildsmith »

thanks for replies, I'll worry less for the moment. I would have through some firm rubber would have been a better material.

Lunar - I'll try 'licking' it to lubricate it?(!)
Married to a F Type owner (P300 2021 model)
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Haha - yes that should do it! :lol:

Maybe a length of that reinforced edging strip you used to get on older cars to hold the door aperture trims on with would be good.

Of course if you scrape it too much you will lose the ground effects and no longer be able to hang upside-down like that :D
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
XZ4

Post by XZ4 »

Mine was all ragged when I bought my F Type. It's got another couple on it now 😜
MY14 3.0S Convertible. Polaris White with black hood, Black pack, Design pack, 20" Cyclones, Red performance heated seats, heated flat bottom steering wheel, Meridian sound system, plus lots more
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Mine has seen better days as well!
But that's what's its there for.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Perfectly detailed above, but with a hidden badge of honour :D

IMG_5991.JPG

daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Sand it. A bit of coarse sand paper to take the burrs off and it doesn't look too bad. I've made mine last 7 years doing that at the end of every year so far.

I do need a new one now, but it doesn't look too bad at all tbh.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

daytona650 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:06 pm Sand it. A bit of coarse sand paper to take the burrs off and it doesn't look too bad. I've made mine last 7 years doing that at the end of every year so far.

I do need a new one now, but it doesn't look too bad at all tbh.
Exactly what I was going to say having read until your post :)
Coarse sandpaper on a block and back to perfect in 5 mins

I would not attach anything to it. As it is it scrapes and grinds and is a good reminder. Anything added or extra may grip the surface and rip pieces off. Then you have a proper repair job to do
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post