Bird S**T!

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Jagman14

Post by Jagman14 »

Made the mistake of leaving said bird dropping on the bonnet of my car over 24 hours.
Went to wash it off today and it's stripped the top layer of paint off and left a dull area.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get the shine back or will I need to take it in and get it done professionally?

Jagman :(

Geminii

Post by Geminii »

Sorry to hear that Jagman Seagulls are the worst followed by squirrels!
I had a BMW in the past that suffered a minor 'stain' due to bird droppings and I used a Zymol pre wax cleanser which seemed to be quite effective or Race Glaze cleanser. It really depends on what it has actually done. If you are through the lacquer and into the paint it may be a bigger job.
I have a 'thick' layer of Carnauba on mine and it seems to repel most invaders.
I am sure Tel or Selborne will have advice.

Geminii2015-03-23 16:45:22
Tel

Post by Tel »

Double posted - Duplicate removed.
Tel2015-03-23 20:15:03
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Tel

Post by Tel »

Jamie is your paintwork man!

They are a menace down South as well...We ahem squirrels in the garden. Never witnessed their droppings, only the carnage they leave in the plant pots!

If you have a photo, then that may help.

My four penneth'; Make sure the area is free from any dirt or residue that may scratch. I would attack this by hand using a clean applicator sponge and Meguiar's Scratch X . Nice damp sponge, gentle pressure and straight strokes taken at different angles. Once the patch has diminished, either layer up with Carnuba wax as Geminii suggested, or use one of the Nano technology paint protection products.

The sponges and Scratch X, are available from Halfords, and is part of my detail regime if required.

Failing that, I'll lend you my Hunting Rifle!

P.S If you do get another dried on 'bomb', soak a bit of kitchen roll in hot water, and lay it over the offending area, simply pull off and go!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Jagman14

Post by Jagman14 »

Thanks you for all your advice....Smile

I will take it too the body shop and let them repair it.
On another thread a member asked about stone drinks and scratches.
I have a couple of small dinks and some small scratches around the door handles and will get them all repaired at the same time.

Was thinking about getting a wax covering put on it anyway to protect it a little and will get that done as well.

I will keep you posted how it all turns out..

Thanks again..

Jagman

Selborne

Post by Selborne »

The best option as already stated is 'a good defence' if you use a Carnauba based wax then make sure you apply at least every 4 weeks, 2 weeks would be best, then the bird Sh*te cannot get to the paint, my choice is to use a polymer based sealant direct onto the paint, this gives 10 times the protection and you can Carnauba wax away on top if you want more and more shine. The best man made (IMHO) is Zaino Z2, but you will need to treat the paint with Zaino AIO first to get the correct seal. Plus Z6 and Z8 top shines are incrediable for shine.
However, to bring the shine back on your dull section is not a problem and be assured no serious harm has come to your paintwork, as already suggested a cutting agent should be used gently to bring back the shine, any one will do T Cut, Meguiars 105, Meguiar's Scratch X, etc, start with firm presure for 8-10 strokes and then medium pressure for 5 stroke and then light pressure for 10-20 stokes, once complete and the dull patch has gone, then you will need to return the finish, this can be done the same way but using a clean cloth and a finishing cut such as Meguiar's Mirror glaze or Meguiar's 205, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (red label) or the Zaino AIO as decribed above, you cannot do harm to the paint with these products as the cut is very fine and it would take a week to rub through the top coat, so rub until your arms fall off !! the more you do the better it gets.
Just remember the basic rules, do a little at a time and keep checking, turn the cloth often, and only use clean cloths and new products making sure everything is well shaken before use.
Enjoy,
Jamie
To give you an idea of shine see mine here:
Plus a thread I started on Wet Sanding of my F Type last winter;

Selborne2015-03-24 07:48:27