Newbie SoftTop question

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Shane_Red_V6S

Post by Shane_Red_V6S »

Hi all,

Apologies for the newbie question but I have never had a soft top before.

I picked up a used Ftype last week and am starting to think about cleaning. Rest of the car should be fine but I am a bit confused about the roof:

1. I read up about the periodic clean and restore with Raggtopp or Autoglym or similar. However what do I do in between when its just getting a regular wash? Do I wash it with the usual shampoo or just leave it? I noticed yesterday I already have a small bird poo so assume I need to get that off somehow but confused what i should do on a weekly basis.

2. Can anyone recommend a good brush on Amazon to clean it with. I looked at a few but the reviews said they had quite hard bristles and I am really worried about marking it etc?

Thanks in advance for your help. Absolutely loving the car already even though not really been able to drive it much so far. What a noise!

Shane.

DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Hello Shane,

Look up White Details on YT. He has just detailed a Bentley convertible. He uses a brush made by Pro Valet immsmw. He has loads on content on the subject.

Enjoy!

Darren
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

I just use soapy water, rinse off then dry with an e-cloth before I do any of the rest of the car.
Works for me.
Tel will be on here soon advising what the OCD brigade do🤣🤣🤣🤣
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Shane,
I use the Autoglym once a year in late autumn when you can still get a mild dry day for it to dry fully. Take your time on each phase and it works really well.
In winter be sure to remove any bits from the rear where they get trapped in the rubber boot strip, as this is where it can get mucky.
I vacuum the roof if lots of pollen etc. and wash it along with the car, with a hand hedgehog.
Any stubborn marks you can use a washing up sponge with the rough side and I dry off with a microfibre cloth pulling from the centre outwards on each side.
Also don’t forget to clean the top bar on the front windscreen with the roof open - and vacuum the hood well out occasionally.
For snow I have a soft bristle broom to brush it off with.
All sounds a lot but actually doesn’t add too much to the cleaning time as you don’t need to do everything every time. And of course there is no one right way to do things, each to their own.
Maybe some RainX on the rear screen too.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

It’s Raggtopp cleaner and protectant for mine. Their kits have kept my soft tops on Jeeps, Z4 and F type in good condition for 20 years.

The damage to the outer layer is caused by wrong products, dirt not removed or scrubbing, the latter which piles up the fabric. Avoid all these and no internet tips about tent sealer, canvas protector, etc. They are designed to waterproof and the outer layer is not supposed to be waterproof.

For regular use just the open nozzle of the hose and stubborn marks I have a handheld steam cleaner, but as with all things it’s gentle use.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Shane_Red_V6S

Post by Shane_Red_V6S »

Thanks all for the advice. I think I am just paranoid of mucking it up!
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Just don't get a wash leather anywhere near it (or the rest of the car).
I learnt the hard way!
My wife decided to help and wash our old Boxster when I was away working and leather dried the soft top😢
Took me weeks to get the resultant debris out of the material.
Red soft top
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Fez

Post by Fez »

Hi google "Detailing World" sure you will get lots of advice!! OCD can certainly be made worse by that website.,
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Tel

Post by Tel »

JurassicF wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:55 am Tel will be on here soon advising what the OCD brigade do🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well, as Ive had an official invite, here's my four'penneth....Thanks Rob :lol:

Wash the hood with luke warm, filtered (I use bottled Evian or Natural Artesian Well) water.

Youtube will have you scratching your head as I do when I walk into a supermarket for Shampoo, and am presented with a whole isle of shampoos!

Don't use a brush...and here's the reason why...The material on our particular cars, fluffs up really well if you use the wrong type or grade of bristle!
Yep, it's true, so if you want to keep your hood looking like new, just use a simple Microfibre towel (i use a silk glove or a Sable Fox's hair paint brush of course).
The old soft, natural boot buffing brushes are great, or even natural shaving brushes with the last ⅜" taken off to make them a little more 'bristly'.

There's a whole plethora of chemicals you can use. Many touting wonderful tropical smells and the ability to keep dirt off...all codswallop.

Keep it simple, and save yourself money by steering away from Automotive products.
Look at waterproofers that have been around for years and that work well:
Fabsil and Nikwax spring to mind. You can buy it in 5L containers and it will last you a lifetime. Always check on an inconspicuous part first just in case any stains are left...I think that 3M or Scotch do!

FWIW - I use GTechniq I1 V2 Smart Fabric Protector, the reason why I have not listened to my own advice is that I bought quite a lot. When it's finished, i'll be looking at other hydrophobic treatments mentioned above.

For drying, I use a leaf blower or dedicated super plush ½'' thick microfibre drying towel.

Carpets, hood, everything gets covered when it has a good clean before I show the car. It lasts well and being solvent based, penetrates deeply.

HTH
P.S The stuff in brackets is absolute rubbish, just in case you were wondering ;-)
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Tel wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:53 pm
JurassicF wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:55 am Tel will be on here soon advising what the OCD brigade do🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well, as Ive had an official invite, here's my four'penneth....Thanks Rob :lol:

Wash the hood with luke warm, filtered (I use bottled Evian or Natural Artesian Well) water.

Youtube will have you scratching your head as I do when I walk into a supermarket for Shampoo, and am presented with a whole isle of shampoos!

Don't use a brush...and here's the reason why...The material on our particular cars, fluffs up really well if you use the wrong type or grade of bristle!
Yep, it's true, so if you want to keep your hood looking like new, just use a simple Microfibre towel (i use a silk glove or a Sable Fox's hair paint brush of course).
The old soft, natural boot buffing brushes are great, or even natural shaving brushes with the last ⅜" taken off to make them a little more 'bristly'.

There's a whole plethora of chemicals you can use. Many touting wonderful tropical smells and the ability to keep dirt off...all codswallop.

Keep it simple, and save yourself money by steering away from Automotive products.
Look at waterproofers that have been around for years and that work well:
Fabsil and Nikwax spring to mind. You can buy it in 5L containers and it will last you a lifetime. Always check on an inconspicuous part first just in case any stains are left...I think that 3M or Scotch do!

FWIW - I use GTechniq I1 V2 Smart Fabric Protector, the reason why I have not listened to my own advice is that I bought quite a lot. When it's finished, i'll be looking at other hydrophobic treatments mentioned above.

For drying, I use a leaf blower or dedicated super plush ½'' thick microfibre drying towel.

Carpets, hood, everything gets covered when it has a good clean before I show the car. It lasts well and being solvent based, penetrates deeply.

HTH
P.S The stuff in brackets is absolute rubbish, just in case you were wondering ;-)
Four'penneth or full Bible🤔🤔😋😋
Red soft top
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post