Detailed and ceramic coated. 😎

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

The spring spruce up continues. Now had the wheels refinished in narvik black, new tyres, paint correction and treatment of Carpro C Quartz ceramic coating.

Just a pesky leaky diff to sort and it will be good as new. Not bad for 6 years ownership and living outside!

2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.

stadidas

Post by stadidas »

Very nice! Where did you go for the detailing? I think it's always worth giving companies a shout out in case others are looking for recommendations :)
400 Sport AWD Coupé, Santorini Black.
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

It was detailed and coated by Autogleam in Marple near Stockport. Wheels were done by High Peak powder coating in Buxton.
basher

Post by basher »

stadidas wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:24 pm Very nice! Where did you go for the detailing? I think it's always worth giving companies a shout out in case others are looking for recommendations :)
Stadidas, I notice from another post that you're in Farnham.

I highly recommend Auto Curators near Hook, who detailed mine and refurbed all the wheels.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Looking beautiful in glorious red👍😍😍
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
stadidas

Post by stadidas »

basher wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:44 pm
stadidas wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:24 pm Very nice! Where did you go for the detailing? I think it's always worth giving companies a shout out in case others are looking for recommendations :)
Stadidas, I notice from another post that you're in Farnham.

I highly recommend Auto Curators near Hook, who detailed mine and refurbed all the wheels.
I've been to them twice :D I found them because you mentioned them on this forum!
400 Sport AWD Coupé, Santorini Black.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

GARETH wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:19 pm The spring spruce up continues. Now had the wheels refinished in narvik black, new tyres, paint correction and treatment of Carpro C Quartz ceramic coating.

Just a pesky leaky diff to sort and it will be good as new. Not bad for 6 years ownership and living outside!

Looking good!

As your car is a 2014 model and has been living outside since you’ve owned it (I assume it’s not kept under a car port etc), is there any corrosion showing on the rear of the engine block or bell housing etc? See examples in both these links.....

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5188

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5188&start=10#p52196

I can see you have the ‘shrouded’ bonnet vents......have they always been on there or were the ‘open mesh’ vents previously fitted?
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

Not really got any block corrosion. There’s a bit of Sandy powder like deposit around the base of the supercharger, but nothing I would worry about. Aluminium does corrode (I worked in the aircraft repair business in the past) There are many forms of alloy corrosion, and unless it gets into the metal and causes it to ‘blow’ and delaminates I’m not too concerned. Aluminium self protects with a layer of oxide to a great extent. My bonnet vents are original, and it is exposed to the elements.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

GARETH wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:40 pm Not really got any block corrosion. There’s a bit of Sandy powder like deposit around the base of the supercharger, but nothing I would worry about. Aluminium does corrode (I worked in the aircraft repair business in the past) There are many forms of alloy corrosion, and unless it gets into the metal and causes it to ‘blow’ and delaminates I’m not too concerned. Aluminium self protects with a layer of oxide to a great extent. My bonnet vents are original, and it is exposed to the elements.

In that case, perhaps the shrouded bonnet vents have helped to prevent corrosion in your car’s engine bay? I take it that you don’t get any issues with engine heat dissipation as the shrouded vents have a far smaller breathing area than the open mesh vents?

As I’ve been concerned about the rear of the engine block and bell housing etc on my car, I recently did some research on aluminium corrosion which was helpful........viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5188&start=10#p52219

As you’ve also said.....”Aluminium self protects with a layer of oxide to a great extent.”

Back in the 80's I did my apprenticeship in Vehicle Body Repair and worked with aluminium on a regular basis. Any badly corroded panels were usually removed and remade from new sheet. Obviously they were a lot thinner than the F-Type cast alloy engine block etc.

As a second opinion from someone else who has worked with aluminium, if you zoom in on this photo (area marked with arrows) would you say that the corrosion has got into the aluminium and caused it to 'blow' and delaminate?

Cheers

4.jpg

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

No, that’s white aluminium oxide powder. I wouldn’t be worrying about that. Like said in the other thread, brush it off and seal it if bothers you, but it will come back eventually. Have a look at your front suspension uprights if you think that’s bad!

I have done several European trips, including southern Spain in august 2018 when we saw 45 degrees on the outside air temp, we drove up the Sierra Neveda mountains that day, and not a hint of overheating.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post