Ceramic coating? Views and suggestions

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

Thinking about having a ceramic coat applied and most should be good for 5 years they say.

Anyone have good/bad experience of these and if they are worth it? Live in London so if anyone knows a good detailer who can do it would welcome some recommendations- but also happy to travel
F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !

Philskill

Post by Philskill »

I really like Ceramic Coatings and gTechniq are my goto product. But I'd have to say I'd consider a PPF for the front end if doing again to protect against those stone chips.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
basher

Post by basher »

I have a ceramic coat and front-end PPF. Makes washing so much easier... and that's just using a garden hose and 2 bucket method.

Had mine done by Auto Curators near Hook, Hampshire. They also have a London establishment.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
NZ-400

Post by NZ-400 »

I’ve jumped off the ceramic band wagon. I may have had a couple of bad experiences but I’ve never seen any tangible benefit from the exercise. Certainly it never reduced the frequency of needing to wash my car and I think a coating that claims to last five years is stretching the claim by a good four years.

Doubtless others will disagree - especially those who sell the promise - but I’d be asking myself, what am I actually getting in return for my money? Then I’d buy some polish.
400 Sport, white, panoramic roof, perfect
scm

Post by scm »

NZ-400 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:14 amCertainly it never reduced the frequency of needing to wash my car ....
From what I've read you still have to wash the car as often, but it's much easier and quicker.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
NZ-400

Post by NZ-400 »

scm wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:19 am
NZ-400 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:14 amCertainly it never reduced the frequency of needing to wash my car ....
From what I've read you still have to wash the car as often, but it's much easier and quicker.
That’s the promise but even so, washing my car is not that hard in the first place. I gained no practical benefit from the ceramic exercise and to be honest, I feel like I bought the emperor’s new clothes.
400 Sport, white, panoramic roof, perfect
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

NZ-400 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:14 am I’ve jumped off the ceramic band wagon. I may have had a couple of bad experiences but I’ve never seen any tangible benefit from the exercise. Certainly it never reduced the frequency of needing to wash my car and I think a coating that claims to last five years is stretching the claim by a good four years.

Doubtless others will disagree - especially those who sell the promise - but I’d be asking myself, what am I actually getting in return for my money? Then I’d buy some polish.

+1 I’ve thought about ceramic coatings a lot but decided that I can get a good shine by waxing the car about every 6 months and it washes really easily. Ceramic coatings don’t seem to help against stone chips etc but thee are claims that it reduces swirling. I actually quite enjoy spending a little time cleaning cars but do understand some people don’t.

I have decided to get the front bumper and side skirts ppf’d though, to give some genuine protection to vulnerable areas, comes with a guarantee for as long as I own the car.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

CERAMIC COATING myths | The truth about CERAMIC COATINGS

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Tel

Post by Tel »

CPBLondon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:04 pm Thinking about having a ceramic coat applied and most should be good for 5 years they say.

Anyone have good/bad experience of these and if they are worth it? Live in London so if anyone knows a good detailer who can do it would welcome some recommendations- but also happy to travel
In my opinion they are a fashionable waste of money...and go hand in hand with pressure washers and snow foam. ;)

Have experience of Ceramic coatings from Gtechniq and Autoglym.
Gtec was put on our 2014 F-Type from new. Waste of time and money. The water beaded nicely for about the first 8 - 10 months.
Autoglym was put on the 2014 XFS from new. Again apart from beading, the coating did nothing more IMO. The only thing that lasted with that particular coating is the sticker on the windscreen!
The coatings will still scratch, it will still suffer with stone rash, so what's the point?...because the internet tells you it's easier to wash...is that it?

It's all down to the way you wash your car...if you're getting swirls then you need to up your game!
Use good quality MF cloths, 2 buckets with grit guards and use a simple shampoo. Never had an issue with swirls using this method if done with care on modern paint surfaces.

Use a decent wax (I use Swissvax high Carnuba content) will give the same beading effect that a Ceramic coat does....and that's all a ceramic coat will do IMO, it's reasonably hydrophobic, that's it.

If you intend to keep the car, and really want to be quite relaxed with your washing regime, them a Self healing PPF is the way forward. 6 Years after having that applied to our most recent F, not a stone chip or swirl in site. The car gets a lot of cleaning attention for shows, and any blemishes disappear in the warmth of the sun. Simply clan with clean water and a MF cloth.

If you want to follow others that must have a sacrificial coating put on, snow foam and pressure washers to clean, then go for it...you could have afforded a PPF in the long term!
Yes, I've done snow foam, pressure washers and that malarkey, it's a false economy and a lot of agro just to clean a car.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

I'm in Gus's camp.
Recently treated my wife's new car with Angelwax Enigma and topped with QED Ceramic detailing spray. it's as or even slicker then my previous professionally detailed and coated car for about 1/10 of the cost.
Just curious how long it will last.
Nick
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post