New owner - detailing paint protection

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
P450Phil

Post by P450Phil »

Hi everyone, I’m sure this has been covered already on this forum but if anyone has a moment to point a newbie to the right threads - picking up a delivery miles 450 tomorrow in Santorini Black and obviously haven’t taken up the main dealer Autoglym but is it worth going for any protection from new?
Based North London but happy to have a trip out :D
Thanks
P450 RWD First Edition Santorini Black MY21

Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Is it worth it? Question for yourself really. I got mine done with ceramic coating new as it means first they don't need to do much to the paintwork as it has no swirls or scratches in it. It does make cleaning easier, and gives a level of protection (won't stop hard stone chips) - whether you think that is worth it is your call, but I find it makes a difference 4 months in.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I'd recommend protective film protection at least on the front, plus the sills if you have them, also the area in front of the rear wheels. The PPF on mine is so good I would have the whole car done if there's a next time. A good place will improve the manufacturers paint job, the earlier you get it done, the easier it is.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Hi, I had my Santorini Black ceramic coated when new and even though I jet wash, snow foam, jet wash, two buckets, lamb wool mitt, drying cloths I still ended up with a few light marks and scratches from washing over the years.

Black seems to show all the marks when the sun hits it so I've just had a minor correction done and had ceramic coating reapplied at 4yrs 3months.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2034&start=30#p57186

Personal choice but for what is an expensive car and a great looking car then I would say it is worth it especially if your keeping it for a long time (or forever for me) to keep it looking its best.

I did consider PPF but the 400 has the body kit so sills and wheel archs are still chip free after 31000 miles. Yes there a few marks/chips on the crab bumper but detailer got most of them out with a touch up pen and bonnet is chip free whether by luck or design.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
P450Phil

Post by P450Phil »

Thanks SimpleR, I’ll look into your recs. it’s really hard to keep black cars looking their best, like you say the slightest thing shows up. I’ll have a root around this really good forum for a workshop near me and report back 👍
P450 RWD First Edition Santorini Black MY21
kevc

Post by kevc »

I'm going to cancel the Autoglym thing on my order after finding out a guy at work is a mad detailer in his spare time. When I pick up I'm going to take it straight to his house for 2 days for him to work his magic. It'll be a fraction of the cost of the dealer and probably a better job. Might be worth asking around in case you have someone that does the same.
Bluefire P450 AWD Dec '21
scm

Post by scm »

kevc wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:50 amIt'll be a fraction of the cost of the dealer and probably a better job.
Even a proper detailer would be a fraction (though possibly a large one!) of the dealer cost.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
kevc

Post by kevc »

Dealer was charging me £450. Detailers seem to be nearer 600-800. My mate will do it for £200 so I'm happy with that. Plus I get a go in his GR Yaris when it arrives :)
Bluefire P450 AWD Dec '21
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

£450 for the dealership valeting monkeys to do zero prep, do nothing about any swirling or bonded contamination in the paintwork, scrub off their Autoglym product which they buy for about £20. This will all be done in an hour.

A professional detailer will spend 2-3 days doing a professional detailing job with proper products. There's no comparison.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

GVE in uxbridge do detailing.
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol