Brake dust!

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Wathen96

Post by Wathen96 »

Hi everyone

Had the car now a couple weeks, but every couple drives my rims are completely covered in brake dust! Like a lot

I’ve got no idea what pads are installed, any good recommendations? Or does anyone have any tips or anything to make cleaning easier?

Or am I just going to have to get used to cleaning every couple runs :D

Thanks

0309C042-D52A-411C-8F85-F0E458D514D4.jpeg

Ftype 2018 v6 p340 caldera red

scm

Post by scm »

You're using your brakes too much - don't waste fuel! :lol:
But yeah, the pads are dusty. :(
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

As scm pointed out, the standard pads appear to be notoriously dusty, so you can either coat the wheels to help with washing the dust off (gtechniq's C5 wheel armour, as an example, or at a basic and cheaper level, some basic wheel wax applied as thoroughly as you can reach) or there are some different pads that are reportedly lower on the dust output (Porterfield R4-S I believe, but I would wait for somebody else to confirm). From what I've read, the Porterfield pads don't 'bite' as hard initially and some find that disconcerting whilst eithers prefer it over the standard pad.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

Ceramic coat wheels and spray with Hydro2 and rinse during every wash.
Oh and wheel woollies will help with cleaning if you want to keep inside of wheel clean and not just rims.
Depends on how anal you are 😂😂
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

If I’ve been braking hard, plenty of brake pad dust is visible on the wheels (more so on the fronts). If I’ve been taking it easy there’s much less.

I usually clean the wheels before taking the car out, even if they’re slightly dusty. I spray some Autoglym Rapid Aqua Wax into a bucket with water and use a small plastic handled brush for the calipers and wheel nut recesses then a sponge for the rest. Hosed off with a fine spray afterwards.

Here’s some good info on the F-Type brake pads and dust (including pad recommendations).

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4527

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4403
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies