Wax recommendation

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Duvetday wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:38 pm
RPSN wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:11 pm
Duvetday wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:02 pm The scratches are not deep, simple wax does a good cosmetic job on them. But one of them is quite wide (as opposed to deep if that makes any sense) so I am going to need to wax pretty much after every wash to conceal it. So I am looking for something not too abrasive that won't run the ceramic coating down on repeated waxes.

RSPN I will perhaps try that Hybrid Ceramic Wax for this.

As the scratches on your car aren’t deep and one of them is quite wide, why use wax after every wash to mask it when 'T-Cut Metallic' will probably do the job once and for all! I can tell you that it’s an excellent product and I use it on all the vehicles in my household when required.

Taken from the link I posted earlier.....”T-Cut Metallic Colour Restorer is based on the original T-Cut but has a special formula! The formulation is less abrasive than T-Cut Original which is ideal for new paintwork and a round touch-up. It's designed for use on metallic and pearlescent car paintwork to restore the original colour and lustre in minutes. It quickly and easily removes oxidisation, ingrained road grime, tar spots and scratches from car paint.”

Apply the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax afterwards and you should be sorted.

Autoglym also have a 'Rapid Ceramic Spray' which provides up to 3 months of durable hydrophobic protection and a deep gloss finish. Their top-notch ceramic product is the 'Ultra High Definition Ceramic Coating' which "locks in perfect paintwork, providing the foundations for a year-round silky smooth, mirror-like finish."

https://www.autoglym.com/rapid-ceramic-spray

https://www.autoglym.com/ultra-high-def ... ic-coating

So T-Cut is ok on a car with ceramic coating ?

As I mentioned earlier.....‘T-Cut Metallic’ used over the light scratches will probably do the job of removing them once and for all (unless scratched again), but this may weaken the ceramic coating that you believe was applied by the previous owner of your car.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about this if you finish off with a ceramic hybrid formula. Take a look at the FAQ’s section of the Autoglym 'Rapid Ceramic Spray' that I posted.....https://www.autoglym.com/rapid-ceramic-spray
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Duvetday wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:52 am I believe my FType has had some sort of ceramic coating applied by the previous owner.

Where I live in Kent it is almost impossible to avoid picking up hedge scratches on country roads. So the nearside has accumulated a lot of these, one in particular shows up pretty bad after a wash, right along the nearside.

I had been reading up on and considering a new cermamic coating. But I think it very likely that after having this done I would accumulate more scratches and soon be back to square one.

So I have concluded to just look after the nearside with wax after washing, and only in the scratched areas.

I'd like to preserve the remaining ceramic coating on the nearside as far as possible. So can anybody recommend a wax or other product that will resolve these scratches cosmetically (well..until the next wash) but without being so abbrasive as to damage or remove the remainder of the ceramic coating ?
If we go back to your original post the issue to me sums up as:
1) you don't want to damage any possible ceramic coating
2) don't want anything abrasive
3) will get more scratches as soon as you repair or cover the existing scratches

You can't 'resolve' without abrasion, so you will remove any remaining coating in the area of the scratch if you use any polish or treatment effective enough to reach the damage
Wax is not abrasive, polish is, so you can apply any wax without fear of any damage. It is however fairly short lived. 6 weeks or so seems the sort of consensus

I believe your own conclusion is therefore spot on to simply wax after each wash or whenever the scratches reappear, until or unless you decide to have it corrected, re ceramic, respray, (or change route)

You could try colour wax, but don't expect miracles as it's more hype than reality:
https://www.expert-mobile-car-detailing ... r-wax.html

I'd just go with any readily available easy to apply and wipe-off wax. No point in spending £££'s on high quality products for this purpose
Alternative that I often use is quick detailer. As a spray it hides minor marks and swirls easily and is quicker than waxing after washing. simply spray and wipe-off (no effort required) Meguiars at Halfords for £15 is a start point
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@Duvetday: As you're aware, the scratches on your car are likely to have damaged the ceramic coating in those areas. See “Myth #6: Are Ceramic Coatings scratch proof?” https://www.vive-houston.com/blog/the-r ... c-coatings

For the best results, which will be relatively inexpensive to do and also last far longer than conventional wax, I’d firstly remove the scratches with ‘T-Cut Metallic’ (£11.50 in Halfords) https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paint ... 99709.html This is less abrasive than T-Cut Original.

Then use Autoglym Rapid Ceramic Spray (£15 in Halfords) https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-c ... 60326.html or Mequiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax (£21 in Halfords) https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-c ... 36624.html

Alternatively, if you wanted to go a step further, you can use the Autoglym Ultra High Definition Ceramic Coating (£53 in Halfords) https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-c ... 93286.html

Here’s the info on them from Halfords.....

Autoglym Rapid Ceramic Spray

“The Autoglym Rapid Ceramic Spray is a quick and easy way to add protection to your paintwork. Unlike others when applying ceramic protection, it often takes time to achieve the best results. Useable on a wet or dry vehicle, the ceramic hybrid formula swiftly bonds to the paintwork with a simple spray and microfibre buff. The tropical-scented coating product offers up to three months of durable hydrophobic protection, and the unmistakable deep gloss finish will make your car stand out from the crowd.”

Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Wax

“Do you want an easy to use car wax that with cutting-edge, sophisticated technology that delivers the latest in protection? Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Wax is the answer. To help coat your car's exterior surfaces, sophisticated hybrid ceramic chemistry blends a thick, high-viscosity composition with the power of your rinse water.”

“With all-new, advanced Si02 hybrid technology you get ceramic protection that’s so easy to use, you can actually wax your paint as you rinse off your car!”

“After washing & rinsing off the soap, simply spray on Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Wax and then follow that with a second rinse with a strong stream of water. This final rinse helps to spread and lay down the wax evenly for you.”

“Dry your vehicle like you would normally with a quality microfiber drying towel, like Meguiar’s Microfiber Water Magnet Drying Towel. There’s no rubbing or buffing and there’s no curing time. You’re left with ceramic protection and durability well beyond conventional wax and extreme water beading protection. Conventional? No. Sensational? YES! It’s Ceramic made easy!”

Autoglym Ultra High Definition Ceramic Coating

“The Autoglym Ultra High Definition Ceramic Coating is our finest, most durable paint protection yet. It locks in perfect paintwork, providing the foundation for a year-round silky smooth, mirror-like finish.”

“The Ultra High Definition Ceramic Coating is the most durable product Autoglym have ever released. Throughout its scrupulous development, chemists have continuously advanced the formulation, to produce a ceramic coating refined to a degree of unrivalled depth of gloss. The Ultra High Definition Shampoo and Ultra High Definition Wax enhance the performance even further, increasing durability to its full potential.”

“When it comes to car care, the Ultra High Definition products make the perfect harmonious team. This system enables you to achieve professional results at home and makes your car care programme even easier and more enjoyable. It is the perfect apparatus to prepare your paintwork for a semi-permanent coating to bond to its surface and lock in an immaculate finish for up to 12 months.”
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Thanks for the suggestions.

RPSN there's lot for me to get my teeth into there...but being relatively lazy I will try cj10jeeper's simple wax application idea first and see how long before I get fed up with that.

One thing I have learned here is that wax and polish are not the same thing. Yes, that it the degree of my lack of knowledge !
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Duvetday wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:15 pm RPSN there's lot for me to get my teeth into there...but being relatively lazy I will try cj10jeeper's simple wax application idea first and see how long before I get fed up with that.

Yes, worth a try but Isn’t that what you’re already doing?......
Duvetday wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:02 pm The scratches are not deep, simple wax does a good cosmetic job on them.

At least you have plenty of info to choose from in this topic.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Duvetday wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:15 pm Thanks for the suggestions.

RPSN there's lot for me to get my teeth into there...but being relatively lazy I will try cj10jeeper's simple wax application idea first and see how long before I get fed up with that.

One thing I have learned here is that wax and polish are not the same thing. Yes, that it the degree of my lack of knowledge !
I agree that given your list of requirements and the fact that it will simply get scratched again even if you do any remedial work, then stick at waxing as a quick 'wash time' temporary measure.
If you decide you've had enough of it then I would seek a detailer or a paint shop who can advise what options are available from machine polishing, local respray, or other such as applying film and if you have protective coating or not.
Would be good to know the final outcome

BTW - everyday is a leaning day for me :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Duvetday wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:15 pm One thing I have learned here is that wax and polish are not the same thing. Yes, that it the degree of my lack of knowledge !

If I lived near your area and you wanted some help, I’d pop over to remove the light scratches for you and recoat with the Autoglym ceramic spray.....your car would be looking A1! I’d do this using the products I mentioned earlier.

Once you know how, you’ll be wondering what all the fuss was about.....no need for detailers, paint shop etc and will save you £££’s

P.S. I did my trade in vehicle body repair ;)
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

RPSN, yes 'that' is what I am doing already.

Original post was looking for what product to use so as to get a quick fix after washing without grinding down the existing ceramic coating.

Not knowing that polish and wax were two diffent things was a factor !
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Duvetday wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:02 pm The scratches are not deep, simple wax does a good cosmetic job on them. But one of them is quite wide (as opposed to deep if that makes any sense) so I am going to need to wax pretty much after every wash to conceal it. So I am looking for something not too abrasive that won't run the ceramic coating down on repeated waxes.
Duvetday wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:27 pm RPSN, yes 'that' is what I am doing already.

Original post was looking for what product to use so as to get a quick fix after washing without grinding down the existing ceramic coating.

Not knowing that polish and wax were two diffent things was a factor !

The methods I’ve suggested would produce better results, be relatively inexpensive to do, last far longer than just conventional wax and be less hassle for you in the long run.

On the other hand, if you’d prefer to wax after every wash, it’s time to get some practice in :lol:

1.gif

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

Hi Duvetday, i would do both sides just so it looks the same, on my bike i just had the high impact areas covered to protect against stone chips, you could buy kits for specific models and areas.
White V6S, red interior. Black 20inch alloy wheels.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post