Protecting Convertible Roof

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I stick with Raggtopp cleaner and then protectant. Purpose made for the job and had great success over a 20 years with soft tops (modern triple layer, not old PVC). 2 part process, sun or shade, no masking.

It's the oem supplier to The Haartz Corporation, original equipment manufacturer of convertible topping for virtually every American and European convertible automobile manufactured throughout the world. That's good enough for me :)

I haven't researched the actual layered structure of the F Type but most modern are the same consisting of 3 layers an outer decorative layer, a non-permeable membrane and then internal insulation/sound deadening with a decorative lining

Couple of basic rules for the outer fabric as that's really what we are looking at here:
Grit's the enemy of the 'canvas' outer as it grinds the fibres, so washing and vacuuming without scrubbing helps and prolongs life.
It should never be sealed, It's the middle layer that does the waterproofing, not the outer, so tent sealers and anything that tries to seal is not good. Beading on the roof isn't a relevant metric. Most such products bond the fibres and cause them to break (fluff up). Looks great for a while though, especially if it has dye in it
Never open or close when frozen and it tears the fibres. Wet is OK so long as opened and aired within a few hours, else it will mould

I'm not considering restoration here as the damage has been done by then..
Lots more to do on internal, mechanism, etc. but that's another story
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:03 am I stick with Raggtopp cleaner and then protectant. Purpose made for the job and had great success over a 20 years with soft tops (modern triple layer, not old PVC). 2 part process, sun or shade, no masking.

It's the oem supplier to The Haartz Corporation, original equipment manufacturer of convertible topping for virtually every American and European convertible automobile manufactured throughout the world. That's good enough for me :)

I haven't researched the actual layered structure of the F Type but most modern are the same consisting of 3 layers an outer decorative layer, a non-permeable membrane and then internal insulation/sound deadening with a decorative lining

Couple of basic rules for the outer fabric as that's really what we are looking at here:
Grit's the enemy of the 'canvas' outer as it grinds the fibres, so washing and vacuuming without scrubbing helps and prolongs life.
It should never be sealed, It's the middle layer that does the waterproofing, not the outer, so tent sealers and anything that tries to seal is not good. Beading on the roof isn't a relevant metric. Most such products bond the fibres and cause them to break (fluff up). Looks great for a while though, especially if it has dye in it
Never open or close when frozen and it tears the fibres. Wet is OK so long as opened and aired within a few hours, else it will mould

I'm not considering restoration here as the damage has been done by then..
Lots more to do on internal, mechanism, etc. but that's another story
Good info, thanks. The gtechniq stuff doesn’t seal and the fabric remains breathable, it just protects and provides an anti-bacterial protection too. It is a pfaff to apply though so will look at the stuff you recommend when it next needs doing, in 2-3 years time!
Paul J

Post by Paul J »

I have always used Autoglym for the soft top of my XK. Brings it up like new as long as you follow he instructions. No need to mask up like you are painting you living room! Scrub and go!
2017 Convertible British Design Edition V6S AWD. UltraBlue.

Link to car:- viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6130 :mrgreen:
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Paul J wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:28 pm I have always used Autoglym for the soft top of my XK. Brings it up like new as long as you follow he instructions. No need to mask up like you are painting you living room! Scrub and go!
You should never ‘scrub’ a modern soft top. All you do is risk piling or fluffing the outer fibres. Vacuum when dry, soft brush to agitate cleaner, or even gentle steam cleaning are better
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Ratboiler

Post by Ratboiler »

I used the Autoglym hood cleaner on a VXR220 over a 5 year period its very good and never let me down, even had water pooling on it but not coming in, when parked at Le Mans.
2021 R Portofino Blue, Convertible, Black interior, Sports seats.
AJ13

Post by AJ13 »

Autoglym too.....does what's it's say.
👍
IRR V8S. (Maybe going soon).
Macan turbo ..wifes.
Sunny Scotland based.
Lowrider

Post by Lowrider »

I use to use Meguiars hood cleaner on my BMW Z4 then used Fabsil tent proofing to seal it with good results.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Still using gtechniq’s Smart Fabric V2 on everything fabric on our Jags. Seven years down the line and the rag top is champion.

Used to use all Autoglym products going back along and currently using their Ceramic spray on the PPF and on my bikes, it's brill. Apart from their infamous SRP on everyone's shelf, never tried the rest of the range.

Even hydrophobic shoe sprays work well!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
mac_in_scotland

Post by mac_in_scotland »

I have a VW camper along with the F. A lot of folk on the Camper groups recommended Fabisil for protecting the “Pop Top” canvas. I planned to use this on the F Type roof…
Firesand Orange V8S Convertible.

Production number 98. 😎🧡
SilverDreamMachine

Post by SilverDreamMachine »

GTechniq product is excellent - and easily lasts 3 years if your car has some protection from the elements (a garage in my case). For what a new roof would cost, I would pay to get it professionally applied as it does need care. I found the product also improved the depth of colour on my black roof. Was very please with it.

One additional point to note - if you are looking to buy a convertible - pay attention to the roof - fabric condition, colour, whether it has been protected before. I saw so many 1-2 year old ex-Jaguar cars where the roof has not been looked after and in some cases marking that you won't get out! Don't let the dealer convince you otherwise.
21MY P450 AWD, Coupe, Blue; ex-20MY P300, Convertible, Silver

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post