Protecting Convertible Roof

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

When I got my car two years ago I used gtechniq’s Smart Fabric V2 to protect the roof. It’s been really good and water still beads from the top but the sides have finally stopped beading. It’s a bit of a pain to apply even though it’s just a spray on product as you have to keep it off everything else! Just thought I’d post to recommend the product, I’m not connected to them in any way if you’re wondering!

2676403E-DA85-433D-A34A-C8CC727C74F8.jpeg

PaulWildsmith

Post by PaulWildsmith »

I just use ordinary camping canvas sealer, fairly cheap. Apply liberally with paintbrush, take some care not too drip everywhere!

Used this on my volvo convertible, roof looked as good as when we first had it 10 years previously. Never open the roof when wet.
Married to a F Type owner (P300 2021 model)
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

I bought 2 products like this from Halfords one was autoglym product the other I can't remember without going out to the shed , at the time of application and after for a while yes they seemed to be protecting , but since Nov-Dec it rained every day and prior to covering car up for the winter I never seen any beeding , so would say they 6mnth of protection the bottles say is rubbish , car has ha thick bit of carpet on the top then the car cover , is in hibernation till mid march
Deleted User 1715

Beltupandholdon wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:25 pm I bought 2 products like this from Halfords one was autoglym product the other I can't remember without going out to the shed , at the time of application and after for a while yes they seemed to be protecting , but since Nov-Dec it rained every day and prior to covering car up for the winter I never seen any beeding , so would say they 6mnth of protection the bottles say is rubbish , car has ha thick bit of carpet on the top then the car cover , is in hibernation till mid march
I had seen good reviews of the autoglym stuff but went with the gtechniq as it’s anti-bacterial and claims 3 years of protection, I got two which I’m happy with. I also like the fact that once dry you can’t see or feel that anything has been applied to it - until it rains!
Deleted User 3572

I also read good reviews about the autoglym product , but we had a month of solid rain day and nite , not sure if it got washed of , but did apply about 4 coats from 2 products :cry:
Deleted User 1715

Beltupandholdon wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:46 pm I also read good reviews about the autoglym product , but we had a month of solid rain day and nite , not sure if it got washed of , but did apply about 4 coats from 2 products :cry:
That must be frustrating! The one I used is solvent based and just one coat did the trick. Mine is usually garaged overnight which must help, but it has seen a lot of rain.
Deleted User 3572

Would love a large garage lol but getting old and trying to get money off you know who , well all I would would get is sell a car , not going to happen lol we did have a huge amount of rain over the last few months
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Have a garage but was at the shops the other day and a massive downpour and when I got to my car noticed it looked sodden rather than beading. May have just been the intensity of the rain so will keep an eye on, but is about time to look for something as car is now 9 months old.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
AJ13

Post by AJ13 »

Just got car a few months back and previous owner gave me some autoglym stuff for roof.
Applied it and seems to work.

Same issue as others have said, trying to keep it off the paintwork however found that if you do get it on paint or trim, a little WD40 wipes the panel clear leaving no residue.
IRR V8S. (Maybe going soon).
Macan turbo ..wifes.
Sunny Scotland based.
Deleted User 3572

Autoglym products are very good , I have used them for years I normally put on a few coats of wax on our cars every year but getting old and might look into this ceramic stuff

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post