My bag of spanners

Post pictures of your Jaguar FType here!
Lucky 7

Post by Lucky 7 »

Photo 20-08-2017, 16 26 23.jpg

Photo 20-08-2017, 16 26 14.jpg

Photo 20-08-2017, 16 27 00.jpg

Any thoughts on the number plate on the bonnet? My wife hates it... I'm undecided.

dezzy

Post by dezzy »

Just my opinion but I think it ruins the car. Your car is stunning but the front plate just doesn't look right to me.
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

It certainly doesn't make the car look better, and there is no practical reason or performance benefit for doing it......so why do it?
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
Lucky 7

Post by Lucky 7 »

thanks guys (for siding with my missus :D )

the reason i did it was because when i took the original plates off to put the personalised ones on, i thought the open grill with no plate looked fierce - then i kind of took the idea from the old E type which had a sticker on the bonnet and thought it would look the biz.

I've still got the proper plates to put back on and i really appreciate the feedback from fellow F'ers - the main kick in the nuts is that the missus will say 'I told you so' when I switch them back :lol:
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels
benji-m

Post by benji-m »

I have to agree, never been a fan of the bonnet numberplate, and a +1 for the sto'n'sho, if you want that clean grill look.
2015 Coupe V6S, Glacier White, Black Design Pack, 20" Gyrodyne's, Carbon Mirrors, Pan roof, Performance Seats, Switchable Exhaust + few custom additions.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

I know some people not fans but I've had the P7 grill fitted & plate was never going back in the same place...

IMG_7237.JPG

Glad we are all different, unless I sell, or police tell me, it's staying put!

I'd perhaps take the flag thing off ๐Ÿ˜„
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21โ€ V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

DaddyDarren wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:42 pm I know some people not fans but I've had the P7 grill fitted & plate was never going back in the same place...

IMG_7237.JPG

Glad we are all different, unless I sell, or police tell me, it's staying put!

I'd perhaps take the flag thing off ๐Ÿ˜„
It works much better visually on your car because of the P7 grill mod (which looks fab) and the fact that you have a white car......but it's still illegal..unfortunately.
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Hi Lucky 7,

Your Coupe looks fantastic but Inside with your good lady and the plate has to go ... I have the Sto'n'Sho which gives the clean look at the front and enables you to refit the plate in seconds for MOT or other needs

Regards, Paul
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Hello The Jagster,

Done a bit of digging. Seems to be a bit of a grey area. This is from the Road Traffic Act...

"Fixing of registration plates: vehicles registered before the relevant date

7.โ€”(1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered before the relevant date.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (4), a registration plate must be fixed in the manner required by paragraph (3) onโ€”

(a) the front of the vehicle, and

(B) the rear ofโ€”

(i). the vehicle or,

(ii). where the vehicle is towing a trailer, the trailer or,

(iii). where the vehicle is towing more than one trailer, the rearmost trailer.

(3) This paragraph requires each plate to be fixedโ€”

(a). in a vertical position or, where that is not possible, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable, and

(B). in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable, in the case of a plate fixed on the front of the vehicle, from in front of the vehicle and, in the case of a plate fixed on the rear of the vehicle or trailer, from behind the vehicle or trailer."

My plate is on reflective material & the characters are not illegally spaced nor have I put screws in places to make daft names etc.

You could argue that the grill does not have a purpose built area to house the plate & so the position it is in is as near to vertical as reasonably practicable.

Will be going back to dealer in Spring for MOT. Be interesting to see what they say ๐Ÿค”

Most people I come across love, or at least do a double take! Have happened across a few police cars at roundabouts & junctions. Not been pulled yet ๐Ÿ˜‡

Probably more interested in the daft spacing, strategically placed screw heads or the dull coloured plates designed to deceive ANPR cameras.

Interesting debate!
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21โ€ V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit