23 hour detail on my 66 plate F-Type R AWD

Post pictures of your Jaguar FType here!
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

As some of you will remember - I picked up my 66 plate F-Type R about 6 weeks ago. I have been so busy with my work which involves detailing other people's cars, I hadn't had time to do my own. So I kept an eye on the forecast and left 3 days free for Mon - Wed of this week. The car had a lot of swirling and fine scratching - I suppose the entire process really began last week when I spent 45 minutes machine polishing the taillights as I noticed how hazy they looked with the amount of brush wash scratching on them. The taillights looked so much better when finished. In general, the car had clearly been the recipient of many brush washes in its short life. White paint hides these kind of defects better than any other colour, but I had to take action and so it all began with a good wash, towel dry with plush microfibre drying towels and then paint decontamination which looked like this...

Iron fallout bleeding nicely...

After this, I then went around the car and removed tar. I then took out some Bilt Hamber medium clay with Farecla Bodyshop Detailer as lubricant to help avoid clay marring and removed any remaining contamination I could find. All in all this process took 3 hours. It was after 9pm and the next day would be a demanding day with compounding the entire car on my Flex 3401 and chosen pads and compounds.

9am the next day, the sun was out and the swirling and scratching was plain to see - this is what the entire car was covered in, it is quite difficult to capture defects like this on camera but you get the general idea in the before and after pic below. Basically, after a total of 12 hours compounding on the Monday and part of Tuesday, another 5 'refining' on the Tuesday to remove compounding hazing and instilling a high gloss finish. I even machine polished the high gloss black bits with my finishing pads as these bits are very delicate. The paintwork and car in general looked transformed...

Before and after compounding...

Then the metallic flake in the paintwork after the 'refining' stage, no swirling and fine scratching left to hide the true metallic beauty of the Glacier white paint and compounding hazing gone...

My favourite wax was used - Farecla Supergloss Paste Wax. I love the glass like finish it gives and it is the easiest wax to remove I've ever come across - you can even leave it in the sun with no removal issues unlike a lot of waxes. Onto some reflection pics...

The exhaust tips were in good condition, a quick hit with autosol was all that was required. The wheels were waxed with Bouncers Lookin' Sweet wheel wax.

Then, onto the final result, finished pics galore, including some obligatory supermarket carpark pics!

Tel

Post by Tel »

Nice job, cracking results.

So glad I have a full PPF, the polisher is gathering dust as are lots of detailing products.

Still enjoy detailing my wheels and interior.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

Cheers Tel

The car won't be seeing many motorway miles so I can't really justify the PPF. I'm in my work van 4-5 days a week and this is my toy for my off days which is mainly for driving around town.
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Beautiful results ... now go put some miles on it!!
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

Senninha wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:31 pm Beautiful results ... now go put some miles on it!!
Yes you're right - especially with all this lovely weather we're having! 8-)
Carrera

Post by Carrera »

Hard labour, nice results and really looks like new !! Let the Beast go !
MY 2019 Coupe 2.0 Ltr Silicon Silver
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Nice post and fantastic results.

I do think you should have practiced on mine first though :D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
davidd

Post by davidd »

Looks great, I'd love to get mine done at some point. I just never seem to have the time to do it my self (or the skill ;)) or the spare cash to pay someone to do it properly. I will clay it and give it a good polish before lemans though.
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

Lunar wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:20 am Nice post and fantastic results.

I do think you should have practiced on mine first though :D
Ha ha, my back is spent! It is such tough going. I've done hundreds of cars... Not sure how much longer my back will cope!
davidd wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:32 am Looks great, I'd love to get mine done at some point. I just never seem to have the time to do it my self (or the skill ;)) or the spare cash to pay someone to do it properly. I will clay it and give it a good polish before lemans though.
It's a very time consuming process, it helps if there's no wife/gf or kids and I have none of the aforementioned!
Carrera wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:48 am Hard labour, nice results and really looks like new !! Let the Beast go !
Thanks Carrera! Had it out and about today - getting loads of attention as usual lol

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post