Falling more and more for this car..

Post pictures of your Jaguar FType here!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

dbv6s wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:14 pm Out of curiosity, did you personally notice a big difference between coupe and convertible?
Isn’t the figure something like the coupe is 80% more rigid than the convertible?
Obviously I’m assuming more noise in the convertible
More practical boot on coupe
Anything else?
I'm not sure comparing a new MY20 P380 convertible and a MY18 400 sport coupe is valid but here goes - both were AWD....

Ride - I'm not sure how you determine rigidity of a car being a normal driver on a road. Both felt the same in that respect. I thought the F-Type was designed as convertible so unsure how slapping a roof on is determined in % rigidity added. The ride was softer in the P380 but unsure on suspension differences in the two models and changes in suspension between the MY years.

Noise - Yes the convertible is louder however with no roof I guess that is normal. I would say the 400 sport is just as noisy outside but it noisier more of the time. For example on lift off the 400 will crackle and bang and pop all through the rev range as the revs drop and the slightest touch of the accelerator will keep this going. The P380 needed a bit more of a prod to do that and didn't do it all the time, mainly only around the 3500rpm mark. The 400 is noisier at low revs on full throttle I think. Whether that is the engine is now run in whereas the P380 was new or whether things have been toned down over time I am unsure. The P380 when slowing quickly and changing down gears would produce a pop/bang from the exhaust which mine does not do however I think my 400 rev matches better on downshift. Probably all just engine map differences and MY updates I guess.

Engine - When I test drove a 380 and 400 on a short test drive I couldn't tell the difference in performance. I recall torque is the same but 20bhp more. I chose the 400 because I liked the extra body kit on it and the options that came as standard. However driving the cars for a few days I think you can tell. The 400 seems to pick up better from low revs (lower than 1500rpm) and pulls harder and harder past 4500rpm all the way to the red line. The 380 seems to tale off as it approaches the red line. Although I doubt in makes much difference in out and out performance.

Boot - I thought I read somewhere that in litres the coupe boot is similar to a VW Golf. The shape of it being a long flat rectangle as opposed to a box shape in a Golf just makes it less practical. The convertible boot was, eh, small. In mine I can fit the golf clubs in bag diagonally (just have to take the driver out and put it on top), my work bag and trolley with no issues with space to spare. The convertible I think would fit a putter in, just.

Other - The other obvious changes like Infotainment is nicer but I wouldn't rush out and by a new F-Type purely on that. Seats I prefer the thin ones in the 400 but that is personal preference.
Last edited by simpleR on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)

scm

Post by scm »

simpleR wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:38 am Noise - Yes the convertible is louder however with no roof I guess that is normal. I would say the 400 sport is just as noisy outside but it noisier more of the time. For example on lift off the 400 will crackle and bang and pop all through the rev range as the revs drop and the slightest touch of the accelerator will keep this going. The P380 needed a bit more of a prod to do that and didn't do it all the time, mainly only around the 3500rpm mark. The 400 is noisier at low revs on full throttle I think. Whether that is the engine is now run in whereas the P380 was new or whether things have been toned down over time I am unsure. The P380 when slowing quickly and changing down gears would produce a pop/bang from the exhaust which mine does not do however I think my 400 rev matches better on downshift. Probably all just engine map differences and MY updates I guess.
I think the newer models have been turned down to meet new noise regs. Lots of bureaucrats with no sense of fun .... :?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!