V6S polished and waxed

Post pictures of your Jaguar FType here!
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

That's exactly how I used to think and do when I had my Morgan and it stayed immaculate for the five years that I owned it.

Problem for me is that I swapped out the Morgan for the F-Type with the view that I would use it on more occasions and therefore get driving enjoyment more of the time. The plan seemed so straight forward at the time, but now I have the Jag and it's in such lovely condition it feels like sacrilege to drive it through the worst part of the winter.....I'm my own worst enemy. I look after my vehicles too much.

Looks like i'll be buying a winter hack in the next month....I quite fancy a 4x4 pickup or maybe an old Landy. I've got some projects I could use one for anyway....Deep breath time to blow more money :-)
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.

Tel

Post by Tel »

The F type fairs pretty well after a winter of salty roads. I ran my old (now replaced V8S) through the British winter. The councils down here in the south grit the roads to death, and in actual fact I believe it ends up more unsafe than if it were left to ice up!

One thing that I did, was to spray the whole underside of the car (including my new V8R), paying particular attention to the Aluminium, with 'Corrosion Guard'. It's made for the marine industry, and is clear, almost like a wax suspension in a spray can.
It seals the pores of the metal and makes it impervious to any oxidisation from air or any other contaminants.
I've used this extensively on my vehicles, some now in their 15th year of use, and with a clean of either solvent or heated pressure wash, the metal is like new underneath.

If you would like more details, PM or post.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Thanks Tel.

I have some ACF50 which is an aircraft spec anti corrosion solution that I could use, but maybe the product that you are describing might last longer (?)

It would be wonderful if I could just lift the car up and get proper access under the car. How do you work on yours?

The Jagster2015-11-02 11:01:28
Tel

Post by Tel »

I raised it on ramps at a friends' workshop which was a bonus.

FYI: This is the product I have used for years. Began using it back in the 80's on inboard and outboard engines on boats, and started using it on my vehicles as it can easily withstand road conditions.

http://www.amazon.com/CORROSION-GUARD-11-OZ-Pack/product-reviews/B003905J0E

Tel2015-11-02 17:06:51
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Ah...by Mercury/Quicksilver. Looks good. I read that that it needs to be reapplied every 8 weeks.

I've been looking at the company that makes the solution I already have (ACF50) and it seems that they do a thicker version that is specifically designed for the underside of a car, called Lear Chemicals 'corrosion block'.
The good thing about their products is that you can buy refills for the atomizer rather than having to buy the whole aerosol which can lose it's propellant before all the solution is deployed from the can.

I wonder if this is the same solution?

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/automotive.htm

http://www.flyingshop.com/brands/Lear-Chemicals.html

If is is, then it looks like it might work out to be better value to the Quicksilver product.
Tel

Post by Tel »

I have only ever applied one coat (thick though) and never re-applied it.
The 8 weeks may be applicable to harsh boat conditions, but then again, I have used it on such and only ever reapplied it to the parts that are going through the water at high speed, i.e propellor tips.

Never used ACF products, so I cannot comment, however when it comes to cost, then I see no reason to use the less expensive (unless it performs better of course), as in my experience, you get what you pay for.

Be interesting to do a 'side-by-side' comparison.
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

..........when it comes to cost, then I see no reason to use the less expensive (unless it performs better of course), as in my experience, you get what you pay for.

Be interesting to do a 'side-by-side' comparison.

I first heard about ACF50 when it was recommended by some Morgan enthusiasts and since then by quite a few motorcyclists and although i've recently started to use it on my bike, because it's quite easy and convenient to apply to a bike) I have never used it on the underside of a car.

If I can find somewhere to get a lift with the car, i'm happy to give the stuff a try, and we can compare.....Just as a matter of interest, how many cans of Quicksilver did you use and where did you concentrate the application? Perhaps you went the whole hog and coated the whole of the underside?

I'm interested to learn from your experience.
Joemax

Post by Joemax »

Listening to you guys talks made me for the first time to take bodywork quite seriously. You'll probably call me a heathen if I were to tell you how I looked after my cars but then again they weren't show piece cars as is with the F-Type. NoopyS's list of body "lotions" made me look into it further and made me realise that my Jag deserves better treatment than what its had up until now dare I say it. So I delved shopping online for NoopyS list and it looks like I will have to have it shipped from the UK as none of these products are available in the Italy, I guess paying a sh*t load on shipping costs will be worth well worth it. I can't believe I found cool site that ships to Italy and its called Monza carcare.com and I live in Monza!!!!!
Thanks for sharing your invaluable information guys, Im so glad that I joined this forum, love it.
Have a great day lads.
She's Bad, she's Beautiful and she's British V6S 2013
Tel

Post by Tel »

I did the complete underside, from front to back, and covered in all the nooks and crannies. All of the exposed aluminium under the bonnet was covered as well to stop it oxidising. I used a good cans worth and touched on another. This, my second F type won't see the salty roads - It's a fair weather car only.

I have used it on both my motorcycles as well as well as many other vehicles after moving over from Waxoyl many years ago.

As far as 'products' go for the bodywork the best words of advice (after many years of concours preps and detailing) is invest in a good quality carnuba wax and buy decent, good quality Microfibre cloths by the boat load. I use Zymol, at neary £200 quid a pot. I have a very keen eye, and I'm a perfectionist.
The pot has lasted me many years, that said, now that the whole car has a custom expel wrap, I don't need to use anything more expensive than a can of Lemon Pledge form Asda! At a couple of quid a throw, it produces brilliant results on clear PPF.

2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

I have to confess that I don't tend to wax my car very often....In fact hardly ever. That's bad, I know.

I do try very hard to keep the paintwork clean and if possible, wash the car before the dirt and insects etc.. have a chance to bake on.

This year I came across a wash solution that works astonishingly well. It cleans away everything and, because the soap suds just go on and on, I believe the paint scratches much less during washing/wiping.

This is the stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOGLYM-POWERMAX-3-MULTI-WASH-TFR-5-LITRE-FAST-DISPATCH-/301780572507?hash=item464386195b

I think that this cleans so much better than anything i've used before, it will make it much easier when I get into the habit of using polish on the F and get a better over all result generally.

I have never tried pure Carnuba wax before, but now might be the time to give it a try!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post