Engine fail on a F-Type R AWD after only 11,000 miles

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Ftypeharv

Post by Ftypeharv »

Usual rule is you get up to 30 days or 1000miles over. I wouldn't like to go much past this. We nearly purhased an approved used f type that had completely missed a service by a year!! They said it wouldn't be a problem and had a 2 year warranty through the approved scheme, but you can bet it would be a problem if you ran into issues like the poor op!!!

JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Apologies to the op for highjacking this thread and probably should start a new one.
Stealer said they "thought" a week would not be a problem.
Called Jaguar extended warranty number, they are an external company but said a month with the extended warranty, but could not comment on mine as it is under normal manufacturers warranty.
I have emailed Jaguar Customer Service, let's see if they respond.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
jagman4666

Post by jagman4666 »

any update on this ?
v6s, ammonite grey, rear camera, active exhaust, flat bottom steering wheel, ivory premium memory seats, tornado alloys
NotHappyWithJag

Post by NotHappyWithJag »

Hello @Treborman
Thought you’d be interested to know that we too had the same issue with our 2017 F-Type R convertible AWD at 4400 miles! No warning whatsoever..! Engine blown. So upsetting!
What’s the latest status of your issue? You were able to recoup 70% of a new engine? By the dealer or Jag? We are in the US... Not finding anyone to help thus far..Tried writing to HQ but no one wants to take blame.
Wish I had been warned prior to purchasing...hopefully I can help at least one person who sees this from having to go through this...
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

NotHappyWithJag wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:18 am Hello @Treborman
Thought you’d be interested to know that we too had the same issue with our 2017 F-Type R convertible AWD at 4400 miles! No warning whatsoever..! Engine blown. So upsetting!
What’s the latest status of your issue? You were able to recoup 70% of a new engine? By the dealer or Jag? We are in the US... Not finding anyone to help thus far..Tried writing to HQ but no one wants to take blame.
Wish I had been warned prior to purchasing...hopefully I can help at least one person who sees this from having to go through this...
If yours is a 2017 then it should be covered under warranty and your dealer should be looking at it to repair or replace under warranty.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

I have enquired about a few F-Types recently, all Jaguar approved. At least three of them have virtually no service history, the worst was a 2013 that was last serviced in 2014, another was last serviced in 2015 and has done an additional 30000 since then. The dealers don’t seem bothered and I get the impression that they think I’m being a pest just for asking about service history. I’d hate to think how the warranty company would react to a major failure on a car that hadn’t been serviced for three or four years. I’ve also found they are advertising some cars as privately owned when they have belonged to lease companies. No wonder we call them stealers. I’m looking at one more car, if it comes back with missing history I’m buying a Porsche.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Ah well looks like I’m buying a Porsche :) 2015 F-Type R with 11000 miles and it’s only had 1 service, so the remainder of its manufacturers warranty will be void, it’s also had 3 previous owners which seems a lot for a car just over two and half years old. Pity as it looks like a nice car on the face of it. Surely Jaguar dealers shouldn’t be selling cars with voided warranties???
So to anyone thinking of buying an approved used Jaguar, don’t assume it’s a tip top well looked after car, do the same amount of homework on it as if it was a private sale, these dealers will sell any old rubbish if it makes a profit. The only good thing to come out of was at least the salesman was honest and upfront.
Arne

Post by Arne »

NotHappyWithJag wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:18 am Hello @Treborman
As allready stated, your car should be covered by factory warranty. Did you buy it from a dealer or private? Should not make any difference though, as thee warranty follows the car - and any JLR dealer should be able to assist you.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Lofty wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:25 pm I have enquired about a few F-Types recently, all Jaguar approved. At least three of them have virtually no service history, the worst was a 2013 that was last serviced in 2014, another was last serviced in 2015 and has done an additional 30000 since then. The dealers don’t seem bothered and I get the impression that they think I’m being a pest just for asking about service history. I’d hate to think how the warranty company would react to a major failure on a car that hadn’t been serviced for three or four years. I’ve also found they are advertising some cars as privately owned when they have belonged to lease companies. No wonder we call them stealers. I’m looking at one more car, if it comes back with missing history I’m buying a Porsche.
OK ... just dont purchase a example with poor history and feedback that back to the dealer so they can hopefully learn ...

plenty of good examples for sale, Also before you get excited Porsche can be troublesome as well .. google is your friend loads of examples of unhappy owners .. just saying
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

kaspa wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:55 pm
Lofty wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:25 pm I have enquired about a few F-Types recently, all Jaguar approved. At least three of them have virtually no service history, the worst was a 2013 that was last serviced in 2014, another was last serviced in 2015 and has done an additional 30000 since then. The dealers don’t seem bothered and I get the impression that they think I’m being a pest just for asking about service history. I’d hate to think how the warranty company would react to a major failure on a car that hadn’t been serviced for three or four years. I’ve also found they are advertising some cars as privately owned when they have belonged to lease companies. No wonder we call them stealers. I’m looking at one more car, if it comes back with missing history I’m buying a Porsche.
OK ... just dont purchase a example with poor history and feedback that back to the dealer so they can hopefully learn ...

plenty of good examples for sale, Also before you get excited Porsche can be troublesome as well .. google is your friend loads of examples of unhappy owners .. just saying
I guess there must be some good cars out there, but as I’ve enquired about six cars and five have come back with missing history I’m starting to lose hope. I owned a Cayman before my first F-Type, the F-Type was totally trouble free whilst the Porsche had a couple of minor niggles, so I realise any car can have problems, I’m just surprised at the amount of crap being sold as Approved used. Some of theses are £50k plus cars that would have been close to £100k new, I can’t get my head around the fact that owners don’t service them, especially as Jaguar service prices are pretty cheap compared to many.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post