Windscreen washer problem

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

The you are then. 20kgs to achieve what most cars do with 5kgs of water, one tank, two pumps (screen and h/lights) and a bunch of tubing.

You're right, let's disagree together. 😁

Derivative

Post by Derivative »

It's fixed.

The rear resevoir has a pump and a level sensor. The front reservoir (fed by the rear reservoir) has 2 pumps (screen & headlamps) and a level sensor.
When the level drops in the front reservoir due to usage the front level sensor sends a signal to one of the processors to let it know it needs more fluid which sends a signal to the rear reservoir pump. This pump will only run if the rear level sensor detects there's fluid in the rear reservoir (to saving running a dry pump).
A faulty level sensor (either) and the system will soon stop working.

Here comes the crazy stuff.
There were no error messages related to this fault that could be detected using Pathfinder.
Pathfinder couldn't interrogate or actuate these items (pumps or level sensors) individually to determine if they were functioning correctly.
After pulling wheel arches out and removing the rear bumper It was determined the the front level sensor was at fault by replacing with a new one and trying!
(Apparently the old SDD diagnostic system could interrogate/actuate individual components.)

3 hours later, on my way.

All under warranty (fortunately).
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
chicb

Post by chicb »

Use rain x or equivalent Gtechniq. I have not had to use the washers in any of my cars for years. Rain blows away & the dirt does not stick. The occasional flick wipe is all you need. My washer bottle is always full & the annoying thing when the cars go in for a service is there is always a full bottle of screen wash lying in the car instead of them deleting it from the bill :evil:
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
stolen_uk

Post by stolen_uk »

FIX

So the rear bottle was clogged for me; cold weather not using the car the screen wash had gone mouldy.

I bought a syringe and catheter tube here and drained the rear bottle, washed out with hot (not boiling ater a few times.

Then I droped 4 x Milton steralising tablets into the bottle with hot water and used a sysringe full of air to agitate the water repetedly. Left overnight then drianed, repeated over a few nights. Finally left a 8 tablet concentration in the water bottle for a week and hey presto, everything is dissolved, full pressure. Ran the bottles empty and washed the car to remove the washer fluid. No more issues.
Tel

Post by Tel »

I have used RainX form the birth on our cars' glass (spray and concentrate)- marvellous

Must remember to drain the water tanks as it's the original fill from Jaguar in there! Surprised it hasn't turned to slime.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩